Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43041 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #8116
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I love these two shots. Is that Portra or UltraMax?
It was the cheap drug store stuff, not Portra. I wanted a faster colour film but didn't have time to get to a good film store.

K.

03-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #8117
Forum Member

One from a recent trip to CA - we visited Lake Tahoe. (My first visit - I'm an East Coaster- and...wow! I hope to go back someday.)

This is the Costco scan - I will probably try to rescan with my Epson. Olympus XA2, Fuji Superia or Xtra (I think) 400 film. Totally wrong film for the day - it was really bright and sunny - and I was impressed that the XA handled it as well as it did.

03-18-2013, 04:15 AM   #8118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kc.virginia Quote
One from a recent trip to CA - we visited Lake Tahoe. (My first visit - I'm an East Coaster- and...wow! I hope to go back someday.)

This is the Costco scan - I will probably try to rescan with my Epson. Olympus XA2, Fuji Superia or Xtra (I think) 400 film. Totally wrong film for the day - it was really bright and sunny - and I was impressed that the XA handled it as well as it did.

I have an Oly Mju (slightly later evolution of the XA, I believe) and it does very well indeed, so far I've found it sharper than using my SLRs and Pentax glass.
03-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #8119
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I have an Oly Mju (slightly later evolution of the XA, I believe) and it does very well indeed, so far I've found it sharper than using my SLRs and Pentax glass.
I had one of those (aka Stylus Epic, right?) that I loved but lost in a house fire. I found another one on this trip at a thrift store for $2 and bought it...will see if it works. I got the XA2 because I wanted something smaller to take with me when hiking, etc. So far I've been pleased with the outdoor performance.

03-19-2013, 04:05 AM   #8120
Pentaxian

I had one of those (aka Stylus Epic, right?) that I loved but lost in a house fire. I found another one on this trip at a thrift store for $2 and bought it...will see if it works. I got the XA2 because I wanted something smaller to take with me when hiking, etc. So far I've been pleased with the outdoor performance.
Good find, I think you'll enjoy it. It's a nice camera, though it has it's annoyances (no manual control, flash always on by default). The Mju II goes for crazy money compared to the original, though I understand it's got a better and faster lens and better AF.
03-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #8121

I hear that one can take a digital picture of a slide placed on a light table. Is that true? Has anyone tried such a technique? You are supposed to place sheets of paper on either side of the slide. Seems like it could work...but does it?
03-19-2013, 01:16 PM - 4 Likes   #8122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Pentax KM, SMC Pentax 35/3.5, Fujicolor 200

03-19-2013, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #8123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A great shot! I like the color coordination and the look of joy on Etta's face and the swirl of that gorgeous hair. The bandaid adds authenticity, and the blase dog adds humor. Probably exhausted keeping up with Etta. Little kids are so much fun to shoot, before they get self conscious.
03-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #8124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
A great shot! I like the color coordination and the look of joy on Etta's face and the swirl of that gorgeous hair. The bandaid adds authenticity, and the blase dog adds humor. Probably exhausted keeping up with Etta. Little kids are so much fun to shoot, before they get self conscious.
Thanks.
03-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #8125
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stepmac Quote
I hear that one can take a digital picture of a slide placed on a light table. Is that true? Has anyone tried such a technique? You are supposed to place sheets of paper on either side of the slide. Seems like it could work...but does it?
I did it with old glass negatives. It should work on 35mm slides but probably not too well. You will need a dedicated macro lens for decent resolution but even then the technique will not be able to keep up with a good scan. And the contrast range of slide film might be to much for the sensor to handle.
03-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #8126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stepmac Quote
Not sure about that way, but, if you can accept lower quality, I have photographed several carousel of slides by carefully projecting them on a white surface, and mounting the camera just above and behind the projector lens. Make sure the focus on both camera and projector is perfect, and also the exposure for each slide. Here is an example taken in 1962.
03-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #8127
Forum Member

Hope you don't mind me sharing another old photo. I've been slowly scanning a box of old photographs and negatives that were my grandmother's. One problem is that there are a lot of weird-sized negatives that don't fit into my holder. This size however fit into one of them so I was able to scan it. It's my grandmother, I'm guessing around 1940. Camera unknown.

03-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #8128

I just returned from Costco. They have a program where they digitize 50 for $17.99 and then .29 per slide after that. I have not seen the quality of the final photo. They give them to you on disc and then charge .13 for a 4/6 print. They do something similar with 8mm movie film.

Great pic of your grandmother! She looks kinda like my mom who would have been about the same age. Bobby socks and saddle shoes....yep.
03-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #8129

I've been working on my collection of tintypes lately. I've been copying them for a few years trying to get WB, and clarity perfect. Tried my K-01 with the kit 18 - 105 which has a pretty good macro capability, but even with focus peaking I still didn't get razor sharp copies. Now trying my Canon with a similar focal length lens. Since the pictures are valuable I want copies to be perfect.
03-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #8130
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hope you don't mind me sharing another old photo. I've been slowly scanning a box of old photographs and negatives that were my grandmother's. One problem is that there are a lot of weird-sized negatives that don't fit into my holder. This size however fit into one of them so I was able to scan it. It's my grandmother, I'm guessing around 1940. Camera unknown.

That's very cool!