Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #1

Going abroad. Advice please.

Hello all. About 3 months ago I got a Spotmatic SP II on ebay. I got a local repair guy to give it a service. He fixed the meter and did a great job overall. I normally used a K1000 but the pictures that the Spotmatic (with Takumar 55mm lens) produce are of a much higher order than the K1000. In a few days I am heading off to Italy for four months. I will be working during the day but will have free time in the evening for photography. Anyway, I don't know whether to bring my Spotmatic (with the one only Takumar lens I have) or bring the K1000 (for which I have quite a few lenses (28mm 50mm 135mm). I want to travel light so don't want to bring both cameras. Which would you advise me to bring, and why? Thanks
Brian

03-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you feel you want to have lens choice, take the K1000 and the extra lenses. You probably would feel limited with just one 55mm on such a long trip.

However

You might happen to visit places that sell used lenses, or flea markets that happen to have a lens or two for sale. Screw mount, of course. In which case you can easily and serendipitously find yourself with a 28, 35, or 125mm lens for the Spotmatic.

I'd be inclined to this second possibility. Plus a Spotmatic simply looks cooler, and Italy is the land of Style
03-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Nesster. That's a good idea. If I picked up a 28mm screwmount lens over in Rome I would be more than happy. It's too late for me to go looking for one on evilbay but your suggestion about finding a flea-market there is a good one.
03-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Try to find a screw to k adaptor and bring your 55 if you really like it. I use my taks on a me super more often than on a spotmatic. But then I find it hard to live without aperture priority.
Ryan

03-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

why does the K1000 take worse pictures than the Spot?
03-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
why does the K1000 take worse pictures than the Spot?
My question exactly. It shouldn't make any difference at all, except for the lens(es), or how you're using the metering.

Your Spotty has the Pentax Takumar lens, so is the K1000 is using 3rd party brand lenses? And list the lens types for each camera.
03-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I think thats the point, he likes the tak better but wants more choices than just 55mm but doesn't have time to get more taks.
Ryan

03-10-2009, 01:18 AM   #8

Original Poster
Yes, I only have the Spotmatic and Takumar about 3 months and I found I have a LOT more keepers from a roll using the Takumar lens. Even the quality of the pictures is hugely superior than the M lenses I am using on the K1000. There could be another reason for this but I have come to feel very confident about the Takumar 55mm lens. Maybe I might just stick to using the 55mm lens over in Italy and possibly it will help me be more creative because of the limitation. I suppose, deep down, I don't want to regret leaving the K1000 behind with its selection of lenses. I am currently packing my travel case and space is a premium. Not to mention baggage handling charges. Anyway, thanks for the helpful suggestions. I just wondered if any of you had much experience comparing Takumar lenses with 'M' or 'A' lenses and if the difference was so great.
03-10-2009, 04:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

You'll need a 28mm or wider in Italy so take the k10000
Maybe your metering system is not working perfectly?
compare the SP and the K100 meters over a range of exposures and chek
If the difference is constant (or about) adjust your ISO setting to match good exposures.
03-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I once travelled through Asia with only an ME Super and a 50/1.7. I've also travelled widely carrying only a Nikon 35Ti fixed-lens compact. On each occasion I have taken many, many great photos.
03-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

I STRONGLY agree with Titrisol:

If you're going to Italy (or ANYWHERE out of the country), how can you not have a wide angle in your arsenal? Throwing the other camera in there with a wide angle mounted is not going to take up any luggage space, or be a "major" problem shlepping around.

How can you go to Italy without the extra set-up and then maybe think that you should have brought it? Plus, if you're going for 4 months, it's a no brainer. YOU NEED MORE THAN THE 50!!!

And can you take me with you?

Last edited by Ira; 03-10-2009 at 05:13 PM.
03-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
Damn Brit

Two cameras, four months, you need at least two more cameras.

Take them both, it's quicker than changing lenses.
03-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #13

Original Poster
Well, thanks everybody. I am flying out at 7.00am tomorrow morning. And guess what? Both cameras are in the case (including lenses for K1000). I knew it would be hell leaving one behind. Today I bought a nifty little tripod called a 'Slik Mini Something or other.' It is very light and folds up about the size of a bicycle pump. I am staying in the outskirts of Rome so I am going to buy a second-hand bicycle when I get out there. Thanks for the advice. I am glad to avail of your experience. When I get settled over there I will post up a few images of the Italian coastline! Wish I could bring you with me! It's a killer leaving you all behind!
03-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

HOORAY!!!

As we say in the U.S., now you're shooting for bear, which means you're ready for just about anything.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!