Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which lens best matches each Pentax body?

Six of one, half dozen of the other maybe, but here's the deal and my question:

I have a Honeywell Spotty, a Spotty SP1000, and an Asahi K1000 (with M42 adapter).

One body will "always" have the Super 50mm 1.4 with my preference of film at the moment, because I've heard what a superb lens this is. (It looks pretty sitting in the case, but I've never used it.)

The other will always have the 8mm Peleng with b&w loaded, because that seems to be the best use of this lens--and I want to have the 8 always ready to just pick up and shoot with b&w loaded.

And the third body will take one of the other lenses as needed.

The 8mm Peleng is basically idiot-proof focus wise, so a bright viewfinder isn't important. But keep in mind that I live in South Florida where we're shooting in bright sun or plenty of it 90% of the time.

Is there anything about the 50 Tak or 8mm Peleng that would lead you to dedicate it to one body or the other, keeping in mind the K to 42 adapter for the K1000 and different metering of the bodies? I've tended to look at the adapter as a "camera" adapter, but I seem to be reading how it's more of a "lens" adapter, meaning you don't just stick it on the body and change lenses like it's going out of style.

Wrong assumption on my part?

03-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I use it more as a camera adapter. I leave it on the camera when I take the screwmount lenses and like you say change lenses like they're going out of style. I have heard of people removing the spring and mounting it on a lens so it can be used as a k-mount. I usually choose if I'm carrying screw or k lenses and then choose a camera/ adapter that works.
Ryan
03-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
Banned

I'd use the SMC Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 anywhere I could. Can't beat it.
03-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hmmmm. . . if I had two spotmatics and wished to dedicate them to specific lenses, one would carry the 50/1.4 and the other would get a wide-angle (28/3.5).

I'd use the K1000 for any other K- or m42 mount lens I happened to want to use. You don't get auto-stop down with the Peleng on any body, so you might as well put it on the K1000 (assuming there are no mirror clearance issues).

Or, you could dedicate bodies to particular film types (one for slide film, one for color negative film, and one for b&w).

BTW, metering with circular fisheyes is generally erratic (due to the crazy wide FOV). I tend to expose the old-fashioned way: take a few spot readings using whatever gear is at hand and guess!

(ME Super, BW400CN, Sigma 8mm AF EX Fisheye)

Last edited by troyz; 03-14-2009 at 11:29 AM.
03-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter

For my Spot F, I have a SMC 55mm f1.8 and super-multi-coated 50mm f1.4. For an SV, I have a Tak 135mm. For my K1000, I actually have a M50mm 1.7. I also have the M 50mm f1.4 but have it paired with a K2. This is how lba and cba synergizes each other and spirals out of control.
03-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I've tended to look at the adapter as a "camera" adapter, but I seem to be reading how it's more of a "lens" adapter, meaning you don't just stick it on the body and change lenses like it's going out of style.

Wrong assumption on my part?
The M42 instructions suggest the adapter should be mounted to the camera, then a lens mounted to the adapter, thus making it a camera adapter.