Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
It's repairable, but you have to special order the new brass gears. Check the other threads in this section for more info.

Phil.
Thanks! yeah, I was reading about it, and maybe if I lived in the US, or Japan. But here, it´s going to cost more shipping it, buying the parts and repairing it, than buying a new one.

I might not find a ZX-5 here, what other cameras in that series are worth it, that can fit the FG grip?

09-08-2020, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Villegas Quote
I might not find a ZX-5 here, what other cameras in that series are worth it, that can fit the FG grip?
I've only used the MZ-S and it uses a different grip. Great camera, though it's costly.

Phil.
09-08-2020, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks! yeah, I was reading about it, and maybe if I lived in the US, or Japan. But here, it´s going to cost more shipping it, buying the parts and repairing it, than buying a new one.

I have the MZ-£, which is the same as ZX-6.
It takes the FG grip and has an appealing feature set, but it’s subject to the same gear failure.

-Eric
09-08-2020, 07:07 PM   #34

Thank you both! Yeah, I think I’ll buy a MZ-L or ZX-7

09-12-2020, 12:05 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here is the link for the replacement gear, with specs/options to chose for the gear for the camera:

ipernity
09-12-2020, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine juts died today... The mirror wont go down, it takes several shutter press to go down, and you can hear it forcing.

Its a big shame, because I have run out of batteries, I ordered the FG grip so I could use AA Batteries, it got here today, I installed it, tried it, and the first picture I took, the mirror locked! I guess I`m gonna have to buy another one. there's no one that fixes this cameras here. It was a long run, I had the camera since December 1996, it was the first camera I bought.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I didn't feel the need to create one for my case.
I've got a ZX-5 and a MZ-3 both working fine. I originally bought a ZX-5 new in 1995 with a 5 year extended warranty (luckily) because I had the problem 3 years into owning it. Pentax repaired it under warranty and it work fine for many years until I gave it away. When I got back into film I got another. A ZX-5 is cheap ..I paid $30 for one. I've had no luck finding a 5N cheap and I'm not willing to spend $100 for one. I did pay $85 for my MZ-3. Really, the advantage of the 5N or 3 isn't that much over a 5... How often do you need 1/4000th or auto-bracketing. You can get allot more of those features in a PZ-1/1p for $60 and it's a much better camera than the MZs (except maybe the MZ-S...and that's debatable).

09-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I've got a ZX-5 and a MZ-3 both working fine. I originally bought a ZX-5 new in 1995 with a 5 year extended warranty (luckily) because I had the problem 3 years into owning it. Pentax repaired it under warranty and it work fine for many years until I gave it away. When I got back into film I got another. A ZX-5 is cheap ..I paid $30 for one. I've had no luck finding a 5N cheap and I'm not willing to spend $100 for one. I did pay $85 for my MZ-3. Really, the advantage of the 5N or 3 isn't that much over a 5... How often do you need 1/4000th or auto-bracketing. You can get allot more of those features in a PZ-1/1p for $60 and it's a much better camera than the MZs (except maybe the MZ-S...and that's debatable).
Thanks! I didn’t use the camera much, a few rolls a year at the most and some year not at all. Since I’ve got several medium format cameras I use them instead. I just want one so the Battery grip won’t go to waste. Otherwise I would buy a different camera, maybe from another brand.

I’ve been looking for some here, but I can only find the MZ-50, MZ-60, 30, etc... none of the single digits ones. If I find one I’ll buy it.

---------- Post added 09-12-20 at 09:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Here is the link for the replacement gear, with specs/options to chose for the gear for the camera:

ipernity

Thanks For the link!