Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-18-2016, 07:07 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Besides holding the paper flat and giving you pleasing borders an easel also
allows you to compose your photo with precision before you expose your paper.

Place a scrap sheet of paper in your easel before making final fine focus adjustments with your grain focusing aid.
Always make final fine focus adjustments stopped-down to the aperture you will be exposing the paper at.
For larger size prints check focus at center and edges; sometimes you may have to split the difference.

Chris

12-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
Excuse me for asking this dumb question but I don't see a point to using an easel in a dark room for a full size print. This is my first semester in the darkroom and I've printed a few print so far following the teacher's instruction.

I understand the easel is to help you frame the image on the enlarger and to hold down the paper flat. But if you are printing a full sheet an 8x10, whats the point? The paper that I've used are flat already. Can't I just put a marking on the base board where the 8x10 sheet paper will be and use that to frame the image when I turn on the enlarger? Also this way you get to print the image all the way to the edge without boarders.

I know you can buy some paper in rolls and you cut them to the size that you want. If you don't buy the paper in rolls and only print 8x10, are there any advantage to using an easel?
It's there to hold the paper flat. Just like a camera, the enlarger has a plane of focus and if the paper bows out of the plane of focus the image will be out of focus and soft.

You need some corner space for a place to stick the photo corners into, for the window mat to cover, etc anyway, so printing right to the corner is not a great idea anyway. If you don't like it, you can always just use a paper cutter to take a quarter inch off the edges once the print is finished.
12-20-2016, 09:02 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't use an easel when I print 12x16 (the largest size I currently print in my darkroom), simply because I don't have one. I do exactly as you say, put marks in pencil on the enlarger base to position the paper and use clear tape on the corners to hold it on place. Works great!