Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2009, 05:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
broken MX, help!!!

I just discovered that the MX that have been riding in my left winter coat pocket for a while have lost the little round piece that hold the fim advance lever in place

Because of this I started to look for a spare part or a broken MX to use for spare parts.

What I'm wondering is this: would any of the other cameras in the M series be built similar enough to use a piece from one of these models: ME, ME super, MG, MV...??? That would leave many more and cheaper bodies to prey on.

03-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They look different from pictures, I do not have an MX
The one in the ME Super/MEF has a diamater of 16mm, left hand

Dissasembling instructions for both here:
Disassembly of the Pentax ME Super Camera
Disassembly of the Pentax MX Camera
03-23-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
Banned

you mean this piece? as far as I know the MX's is unique, the rest of the M series is the same, but the MX shares almost no parts with the rest of the M series. I may have this piece on a partially (been that way for a long time) disassembled MX I have laying around but I don't have the tool, or any tool to unscrew it.
Attached Images

03-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It's possible, Douglas. My ME Super looks to have a very similar advance lever, with a cap that lacks the holes and looks a bit thicker, but sometimes with these parts, they just change the styling a little.

Maybe you could ask Erik if he'll sell you a compatible part. (There's also, sometimes, a thin washer or shim between the cap and the advance lever that may have gotten lost: also, usually, something between the lever and the body, if the lever actually was loose in your pocket.

03-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The ME Super and MX ones are different-looking but they measure the same overall diameter (or very close...I only used a Standard tape measure). If the thread is the same between them...I don't know.

For removing those caps, I use a "manly" pair of tweezers almost 5" in overall length.
03-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
gadget

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
They look different from pictures, I do not have an MX
The one in the ME Super/MEF has a diamater of 16mm, left hand

Dissasembling instructions for both here:
Disassembly of the Pentax ME Super Camera
Disassembly of the Pentax MX Camera
Great links!
Well, the MX version of this gadget appears to have two wholes, which the ME lacks. But I've got a PM from another member telling me that he managed to repair his MX with the corresponding piece from a MG. Ratmagiclady says the same, so they appears to fit, though they are slightly different.

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
you mean this piece? as far as I know the MX's is unique, the rest of the M series is the same, but the MX shares almost no parts with the rest of the M series. I may have this piece on a partially (been that way for a long time) disassembled MX I have laying around but I don't have the tool, or any tool to unscrew it.
Yes, exactly that piece. And I need it in black, and I think black MX are somewhat more rare, so that's part of why I'm wondering if I can use the same gadget from another (black) M body.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It's possible, Douglas. My ME Super looks to have a very similar advance lever, with a cap that lacks the holes and looks a bit thicker, but sometimes with these parts, they just change the styling a little.

Maybe you could ask Erik if he'll sell you a compatible part. (There's also, sometimes, a thin washer or shim between the cap and the advance lever that may have gotten lost: also, usually, something between the lever and the body, if the lever actually was loose in your pocket.
I will check if the washer is there and search the pocket again. It is a mystery where the "gadget" went. It is a deep pocket, so the logical would have been if it had stayed in the pocket. But it might have fallen out while I've been sitting down somewhere, like on the subway or train (or the car, but I've searched the car carefully). Asking Erik might be a good idea. I'm supposed to send my LX to him anyway.
03-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
But I've got a PM from another member telling me that he managed to repair his MX with the corresponding piece from a MG. Ratmagiclady says the same, so they appears to fit, though they are slightly different.
Not that I can see. I happen to have an MX (waiting for me to ship out tomorrow) and an MG (part of a box I bought a few weeks ago) here.

The part on the MG does not fit the MX - the threads are different.

On the MG, the center part is just to cover the center. It is not needed to keep the wind lever in place. On the MX, the lever is kept in place by the center part.

03-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Not that I can see. I happen to have an MX (waiting for me to ship out tomorrow) and an MG (part of a box I bought a few weeks ago) here.

The part on the MG does not fit the MX - the threads are different.

On the MG, the center part is just to cover the center. It is not needed to keep the wind lever in place. On the MX, the lever is kept in place by the center part.

like I stated above. the MX shares almost no parts with the rest of the M series.
03-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sounds like, then, whoever managed to use MG parts for the job replaced more than the visible cover... I've never had one of those apart, so best to ask Erik what he can do for you, or get the same thing.

(tying quickish, got Sightseer film in the wash. And my browser's getting hung up. )
03-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried this a couple of years ago, using an MG for the part, and it didn't work for me. I can't remember exactly why. I was only doing it for cosmetic reasons. Someone had tried to remove the MX part with a tool, but did not know it was reverse threaded. The tool slipped and scratched the cap. Remember the reversed threads. The caps on the other M series cameras come off with a friction tool - i.e., rubber grippy thing.
03-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I tried this a couple of years ago, using an MG for the part, and it didn't work for me. I can't remember exactly why. I was only doing it for cosmetic reasons. Someone had tried to remove the MX part with a tool, but did not know it was reverse threaded. The tool slipped and scratched the cap. Remember the reversed threads. The caps on the other M series cameras come off with a friction tool - i.e., rubber grippy thing.
someone tried to do that with my MX, you can see it in the photo yes, please bear in mind that it has a reverse thread.
03-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

This is off-topic....

séamuis, are you VNese by any chance? I just noticed in your signature:

'Đời cha ăn mặn, đời con khát nước.'
03-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
This is off-topic....

séamuis, are you VNese by any chance? I just noticed in your signature:

'Đời cha ăn mặn, đời con khát nước.'
for better or worse I am American through and through. and séamuis is an Irish name. =)