Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Didn't realize the 5.5x was still a current product. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who likes it! Pretty coincidental that K100d bought one a few hours before I mentioned it. Small world indeed!

Just for fun:
The 67II Promotional Brochure Says: SMC PENTAX PHOTO LUPE 5.5X: Consisting of Super-Multi-Coating optical elements, this high-quality photo lupe features a 5.5x magnification with a large viewing area and a comfortable rubber eyepiece ring. Its long eye-relief design makes viewing easy for eyeglass wearers.

The package insert that came with the lupe says (among other things): Lens construction: 4 elements 4 groups. Effective Aperture: 49mm. Eye relief: 40 mm from lens surface. Coat: SMC coat. Outside Diameter: 67mm. Height: 75 mm Weight: 320 g. Accessory: Lens cap.

Can't remember where I heard it was APO in design. I believe it was the original press release that said something about APO? But that's a piece of literature I didn't save...

03-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a 55/1.8 in reverse as a loupe

Now javier, when are you shooting some slides?
03-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also just bought a Pentax 5.5X loupe and Gepe Pro Slim Slide viewer a few weeks ago, from Beau Photo in Vancouver. Pretty amazing combo for viewing slides!
03-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #49
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
AI shot it with a Pen FT half frame...
Now I feel even OLDER!

And with scanning these days, I just HAVE to find myself a half frame body!!!

03-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I've shot 4-5 rolls of slide film. The little slides on the light table blow me away, they look awesome. But then I have them printed and/or scanned, and the results are less sharp, less colorful, less good. I got a bag of 20-30 rolls of expired slide film that I was going to shoot for kicks, but the disappointment going from slide to print has me holding off.
03-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I've shot 4-5 rolls of slide film. The little slides on the light table blow me away, they look awesome. But then I have them printed and/or scanned, and the results are less sharp, less colorful, less good. I got a bag of 20-30 rolls of expired slide film that I was going to shoot for kicks, but the disappointment going from slide to print has me holding off.
You can get results from scanned slides that equal the appearance of the originals. However, that requires the services of a skilled scanner operator, a very good scanner, significant Photoshop skills, and a properly implemented colour management system. This gets costly if you're paying someone else, and takes some money and a lot of learning time if you do it yourself. In my view, most people are better off shooting digital. You still have to learn some serious skills to get the most out of images, but at least you're not spending a small fortune on film while learning!

I've been doing all my own scanning and image editing as a professional since the mid-90s, but I've replaced 35mm colour with digital. I still shoot quite a bit of 35mm black and white as well as medium format colour and black and white.
04-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a person who shoots mainly plant life professionally (not a professional photog, but a biologist who wants to document his discoveries), I prefer Fuji Provia. It is like nature itself.... only a bit more expensive....

The day before yesterday I had some Provia rolls develloped, which were shot 2 years ago, and the rolls layed in a drawer in the kitchen all the time. Still amazing... I will scan some and post them here probably....