Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2009, 05:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

fireworks and film?

I was on another board and someone asked about the best camera for fireworks and it got me thinking. What would the best film be for shooting fireworks? I am guessing that you would want at least a 400 film speed? and you would probably want to shot in bulb mode?
I have to admit I only shoot film during the day have been nervous to shoot at night. I know i'm a film noobie so still getting my feet wet any advice would be helpful and which would you choose as far as a camera to use between the Spotmatic II the ME and the PZ-1P for this? My guess would be the ME for my personal choice but am interested in your opinions.
Sorry for the long winded excursion

03-31-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

cheap superia 200, semi-hand-held on a window sill, maybe 10 seconds,

there is no such thing as "fireworks" film...

practice with digital first to get the timing right, the rest is the same.

03-31-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice photo Gooshin!

As for the OP question concerning camera models -- you are asking about 3 VERY different cameras: The Spotmatic is fully manual, the ME is fully aperture priority and the PZ1p can pretty much do it all in a newer, but arguably less durable body (I'm sure I will get blasted over that comment). Though it might cost a tad more, I would recommend an ME Super which gives you aperture priority, manual and a nice, compact metal body. Are you choosing from cameras you have or are you considering purchasing one?
03-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Nice photo Gooshin!

As for the OP question concerning camera models -- you are asking about 3 VERY different cameras: The Spotmatic is fully manual, the ME is fully aperture priority and the PZ1p can pretty much do it all in a newer, but arguably less durable body (I'm sure I will get blasted over that comment). Though it might cost a tad more, I would recommend an ME Super which gives you aperture priority, manual and a nice, compact metal body. Are you choosing from cameras you have or are you considering purchasing one?
I have all three cameras and was thinking the ME would be the better one to use, but was trying to ask if there is any real diffrence between using a 200 over a 400 iso film? would you recommend bulb setting or just a long exposure would have to find a shutter release for an ME if i go that route ? these were the things i was trying to get to in my original question.

03-31-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ah -- ok then. Honestly, I don't think it matters which camera as long as you are not concerned about the batteries going out in the PZ1p.

Remember that fireworks are pretty bright so you don't need super-fast film for them.

Here are a couple of sites with pointers:

Calphoto

Smithsonian
04-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Mount your camera on a steady tripod. Use the bulb setting and a good old cable release. Watch a series of bursts and frame the shot you want. Release the shutter and allow several bursts to fill the frame. My typical exposure is around 5 seconds. As far as f stop i generally use 100 speed film at around f8 for sharpness and the 100 speed to reduce the chances of city lights below the burst causing a glow along the bottom of the frame. Best of Luck! Take a look at this one. https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/index.php?n=4845
04-05-2009, 06:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Put it this wya ... when using Digital and shooting fireworks ... I used ISO 100.

So for fireworks I'd be using a 100 speed film if possible.

I think I had similar settings to what Matador above mentioned

Just have a nice stable tripod ... cable release and in bulb mode.