Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How much have you used film before?
have always used film 3046.15%
digital -> film 46.15%
bit of film before -> digital -> film 913.85%
film -> digital -> film 2233.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2009, 05:07 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
She was on the side of the confederates. From time to time she drove the ''general lee''
As a Southerner, I must insist upon capitalization for "Confederates" and "General Lee".

04-09-2009, 07:28 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I stopped shooting film when I was called upon to capture the scene of General Lee signing the surrender documents to Grant after the Civil War.

I didn't shoot anything after that for more than 90 years, waiting for digital to arrive, but it didn't. So I started buying old Spotties and never looked at digital when it finally made its entrance onto the scene.

By the way:

All of the Union officers there really goofed on Lee the entire time, calling him a redneck loser and such. It made my job difficult, since I had to make everyone stay perfectly still for 7 minutes in order to capture each shot in proper focus.

I even made Lee sign those surrender documents like 37 times until I was SURE I got the perfect image.

As a side note, I was shooting Tri-X. And even though it wasn't invented yet, I figured out a way how to.
Awww, you're pulling my leg. The word "redneck" didn't even exist back then.
04-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Awww, you're pulling my leg. The word "redneck" didn't even exist back then.
It not only existed, it predated it considerably.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 04-12-2009 at 12:11 AM.
04-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #49
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
It not only existed it, it predated it considerably.
So if I'm (Ah'm) Southern (Suthun) and Presbyterian, is that considered Double Jeopardy?

I started using film in 1958 when my parents gave me a Brownie Starflash for my birthday. Started using 35mm film in 1969 and used P&S digitals from about 1997 along with a P&S Pentax film camera. Started with the K100D Super last year (March 2008) as a reward to myself for the 1 year anniversary of quitting smoking. For the 2 year anniversary this year I treated myself to a AF 540. Amazing what you can buy with the money you would normally spend on cigarettes.

I still shoot film in cameras ranging in age from an AP to an MX and in between. Never have gotten into the auto film cameras.

Wheatfield, is it true you took a photography class taught by Mathew Brady

CW

04-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
And I have been wanting to learn how to load large format cameras for 15 years or more.
04-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #51
Ira
Inactive Account

As a follow-up to my post, General Lee's great great great granddaughter just phoned me yesterday. (There might have been another "great" in there, but I don't know for sure because the phone connection was bad.)

Anyway, she wanted to order twenty-five wallets and five 11 by 14s of the surrender shot, but I explained to her that Great GrandDad Lee only bought the cheap Plan A, and wouldn't splurge for the extra 6 bucks for Plan B, so he could own the negatives.

And since I myself own the negatives, I told her that each wallet print would cost her $599.99, but I was willing to mark the 11 by 14s down to $2,499.93 each.

But man, was she PISSED!!!

Some people just don't understand how this business works at all.
04-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
<snip>
I started using film in 1958 when my parents gave me a Brownie Starflash for my birthday. Started using 35mm film in 1969 and used P&S digitals from about 1997 along with a P&S Pentax film camera. <snip>
CW
The first camera I ever used was my parents' folding Kodak 120 film. Bought my first 35mm camera in 1957 - A Yashica. Bought my first Pentax in 1961, a used original with 55/2.2 preset lens. Haven't used much other than Pentax since. Had a Ricohflex TLR that I used a few times along side the Pentax. Also I had a Minolta 16mm that I picked up somewhere - still have it, complete with the flash. someone gave me a Polaroid, but I never got around to trying it. I did try some Polaroid 35mm film, though. A bit grainy, even compared to Tri-X pushed to 1600. Not compared to the Tri-X pushed to 3200, though.

I've got a cabinet totaling about 1 cubic meter (10% more than a cubic yard for you metric challenged folks) of negatives and slides. I'm up to 5,000 keepers on my k10D now. The MZ-S still has a roll of film in it, in progress. So does the Pentax 120SW P&S.

So I fall into the definitely old phart fotog category, as well as the "Die Hard Pentaxian" category. I've never seen a reason to change brands. I've always had a mix of lenses from whevever. Did I mention that my friend Bill gave me his Fujica 901 - with a screw mount 50/1.4? Now why did I sell that genuine Pentax M42 > K adapter. Sigh.

04-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #53
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
As a follow-up to my post, General Lee's great great great granddaughter just phoned me yesterday. (There might have been another "great" in there, but I don't know for sure because the phone connection was bad.)

Anyway, she wanted to order twenty-five wallets and five 11 by 14s of the surrender shot, but I explained to her that Great GrandDad Lee only bought the cheap Plan A, and wouldn't splurge for the extra 6 bucks for Plan B, so he could own the negatives.

And since I myself own the negatives, I told her that each wallet print would cost her $599.99, but I was willing to mark the 11 by 14s down to $2,499.93 each.

But man, was she PISSED!!!

Some people just don't understand how this business works at all.
Better watch it. She may phone N.B.F. or Fighting J.W.
04-11-2009, 03:36 AM   #54
Inactive Account

I have always used film. Though I have been trying to learn editing with scanned images. To me it seems that the local retailers (Wally-World) think that everyone wants to go digital, so there is very little film to be found.