Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They don't make film like they used to!

I can't believe this:

I have 4 Spotties recently acquired, 3 loaded, and I've been taking my time shooting. So today, I finally finish the roll with the S-Tak 105. I go to rewind, and don't feel any resistance, like the rewind mechanism is broken.

This is totally possible, as those of you who have made eBay purchases may know.

I get home, lock myself in the dark closet to open the back, only to discover that the film ripped off the end of the spool.

Yeah, I knew I was at shot 24 of a roll of 24 when I hit the advance lever again, but back in the good old days, and depending on how you loaded, you would either get that extra shot, or at the very least, you couldn't advance.

NEVER in my years of 35mm work did I rip the film off the spool and ruin an entire roll like this. And I only had two beers before this--I swear!!!

This was a humbling experience, especially since this roll had portraits of the wife and kids who were cursing me the entire time I forced them to pose for me.

04-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Happened to me before

on frame 24 you need to gentle and if you feel that there is a resistent don't force it .

its is different then old film most film today are made for auto cameras
04-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
Happened to me before

its is different then old film most film today are made for auto cameras
You know--that was my guess, but I didn't want to blame it on the film. But this was Professional (hah) BW400CN.

Anyway, it was a learning experience, because after years of shooting in the old days, this simply never happened to me. From now on, when it says 24 or 36, I'll just rewind.
04-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Inactive Account

They don't use industrial adhesive with lead to hold the film in place these days.
Kidding, but tell us, how much of the film do you pull out until you shut the back and start loading until the dial reads first shot?

Some people load the film until it is looped all the way around and some people, like me, just go a quarter of the way and sometimes get 2 extra shots.

04-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaddyLuna Quote
They don't use industrial adhesive with lead to hold the film in place these days.
Kidding, but tell us, how much of the film do you pull out until you shut the back and start loading until the dial reads first shot?

Some people load the film until it is looped all the way around and some people, like me, just go a quarter of the way and sometimes get 2 extra shots.
I do one advance in the dark (when possible), close the back, and two shots before it gets to one. Or is it three?

Who remembers, but your point is well taken.
04-10-2009, 06:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Yes, it happens.... with some film more than with others.

Just load it, leader first, then cartridge in the bay, close and shoot 2 and you are good to go, I normally get 38 shots out of a 36 exp roll
04-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Yes, it happens.... with some film more than with others.

Just load it, leader first, then cartridge in the bay, close and shoot 2 and you are good to go, I normally get 38 shots out of a 36 exp roll
THAT makes sense! Leader first! Thanks!

04-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My MX did something similar the other week. Instead of just "stopping" I could advance to the next frame. I thought it ripped and unloaded it in the dark, but it was just fine. 2 exposures combined at the end, but it still scared me.
04-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
What do you mean? How did you unload it? Yours didn't rip off the spool?

Mine did and didn't know what to do with it.

I loaded fresh again this morning to make myself feel better.
04-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
Banned

I have never had this happen before. really surprising because I am always tightening the the film after each advance by nudging the film rewind until its tight. and I use a lot of cheap fuji film when im not shooting B&W.
04-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I have never had this happen before. really surprising because I am always tightening the the film after each advance by nudging the film rewind until its tight. and I use a lot of cheap fuji film when im not shooting B&W.
What is nudging the rewind lever going to do? The film is set in the sprockets, so how is that going to help anything as far as what happened to me?

Edit: now I understand. Like you're saying it SHOULD have happened to you based on your tension.
04-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
What is nudging the rewind lever going to do? The film is set in the sprockets, so how is that going to help anything as far as what happened to me?

Edit: now I understand. Like you're saying it SHOULD have happened to you based on your tension.

correct. I am always making sure the film is under tension. I don't know why, I just do.
04-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What do you mean? How did you unload it? Yours didn't rip off the spool?

Mine did and didn't know what to do with it.

I loaded fresh again this morning to make myself feel better.
It didn't rip off the spool, but sure felt like it did. I wound with the normal "stoke" then the lever went slack as if the camera was unloaded.

I have a small 17x17" dark bag for loading developing spools so that's where I put the camera. The re-winding had indeed worked so when I opened the film door, I was relieved to find there was no film sitting in the take-up spool.
04-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your input, guys!

It's 4:20PM South Florida time now, GORGEOUS sun in my backyard (just starting to go down), and I just "informed" my wife that she'll posing for me again in a half-hour.

And she gave me that same look she gives me whenever I want to make love--one of total disgust.

I don't care. It's Good Friday, and Passover, and she has to do what I tell her to do. Both the old and new Testaments clearly state that a wife must obey her husband.

Keep this in mind when I post these shots here, and they all look like she hates my guts and wants to kill me.
04-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't care. It's Good Friday, and Passover, and she has to do what I tell her to do. Both the old and new Testaments clearly state that a wife must obey her husband.
...and that a husband must LOVE his wife...