Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
CBA Part I

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I had for some time wanted to add a manual focus SLR to my Pentax collection. First I considered the Super-A, then here I read about the ME-Super. And just recently I came across a beautiful Special Edition ME, but it was snatched up at KEH, before I could pull myself together to go for it. So I began elsewhere, from Ebay UK :

I was starting to get a bit concerned, as it had been Easter in Denmark, so no mail in those days. And had waited for some time. Plus the seller had sold two identical looking cams. But finally it arrived, nicely wrapped :

(for a fragile labelled packaged, it had taken a bit of a beating on the side)

Batteries were removed, as seller had stated they could leak in the flight from UK to Scandinavia. So had to drop by a shop in town to pick up some CR2, and of cause couldn’t help getting some more Tri-X, as the store had just got a fresh supply

Got some Kodak professional Ektar 100 colour film at an earlier point, so will put the camera through some rolls and see how it performs. (The MZ-series sure fits great in the hand, good work by Pentax)

I like how it is a compact lightweight cam, with built-in winder. But of-cause it doesn’t have the feel of the MZ-5N, but then the original K1000 wasn’t an upscale body either. But this can just open up for later CBA acquisitions. Though next time I need better pictures of it, and more thorough description.

The problem with this sample, is that it was sold without lens, and didn’t even have a body cap on. I’m not one to fuzz over smaller unimportant details, but the Penta-mirror and split micro focusing screen were filled with dirt and dust. And was hard to try and clean out. First time I used my blower, it actually got worse, as likely a lot of the other dust inside the mount, just got to sit on the focusing screen instead. I then started using some Hama pro-optics wet tissue, but it didn’t help much either. (I couldn’t find my small painter brush, which I had previously used to clean older cams and lenses).

For a manual focus SLR, this is kind of a drag. I compared it to my 10 year old Z-1P, and that looks prestine and spotless inside, compared to this MZ-M.
I think I’m gonna give the seller positive feedback still. Maybe he didn’t know that camera cap was recommended, or he got it like that elsewhere. I didn’t expect anything wrong, as he had 100 %, but just after my buy, I saw another buyer complaining about fungus in a sold lens, but the problems were cleared up between them.
Else I’ve so far been very fortunate with my Ebay buys.

Thanks for reading, any comments welcome. I’ll be returning to the thread, for my likely future purchases

If the IQ is good, and I expect it to be fine, I think I’m still gonna have fun. Good to have a cam always ready in the bag, for daily photo ops.

P.S. If anybody knows how to change the Iso on the cam, then I’m very interested in knowing. (So I can push the Tri-X film).

Plus did the MZ-M have any dedicated kit lens, to go with it ?

Last edited by Jonson PL; 04-11-2009 at 03:48 PM.
04-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
P.S. If anybody knows how to change the Iso on the cam, then I’m very interested in knowing. (So I can push the Tri-X film).
I really like my ZX-M.

For ISO setting, please see page 15 of manual. Simple.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_zx-m.pdf

The manual also seems to depict the Pentax A 35-80mm, 1:4 f/4.5-5.6 as the "kit" lens.

See also for example: PENTAX ZX-M 35MMSLR W/SMC 35-80MM F4/5.6 ZOOM L@@K N/R - eBay (item 260387710493 end time Apr-12-09 21:40:43 PDT)

Kind regards,

woof!
04-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats on your new addition. I look forward to seeing some images.
04-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

if it's anything like the mz-5n, it would be similar to this procedure.
rotate the EV knob until you get to the up or down arrow that surrounds words "ISO" and then press AE-L ... something to that effect

if this is part i, what's part ii?

04-13-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I really like my ZX-M.

For ISO setting, please see page 15 of manual. Simple.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_zx-m.pdf

The manual also seems to depict the Pentax A 35-80mm, 1:4 f/4.5-5.6 as the "kit" lens.

See also for example: PENTAX ZX-M 35MMSLR W/SMC 35-80MM F4/5.6 ZOOM L@@K N/R - eBay (item 260387710493 end time Apr-12-09 21:40:43 PDT)

Kind regards,

woof!
Thanks, makes sense that they would use a dedicated manual focus zoom lens. Even if it was from a series, which were more or less phased out, I guess.

I'm gonna give the camera a good run the coming days
08-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
if it's anything like the mz-5n, it would be similar to this procedure.
rotate the EV knob until you get to the up or down arrow that surrounds words "ISO" and then press AE-L ... something to that effect

if this is part i, what's part ii?
Part II is here !

Picture 1 : Nice, a package from KEH. Haven’t received anything from them before

Picture 3: Well, at least it says Pentax

Picture 4 : Black Super-A with a huge Viewfinder

The MZ-M that I gotten, was fun, but not quite what I was looking for. I wanted something for wide aperture lenses. And I’m fairly tough on my gear, so I needed a cam with great built, to withstand abuse.
I disliked the shutter sound and lag, of the MZ-M. And the pentamirror was small and somewhat dark. And it didn’t have the same heft, as some of the other cams in the MZ-series.
I’m still glad I got it, as I wanted to test it out. And always liked the ergonomics of the MZ-series.

The Viewfinder in the Super A is big and clear. It is compact cam, and feels like a lot of pride went into building it, from the workers side. A solid piece of functional design. Seems easy to nail proper focus, with clear split-prism; and micro-prism collar. (But of cause, gotta put it through its paces to really know).

I do feel like an manual focus all metal cam, ought to be able to function without batteries. (Or at least be able to trip the shutter). So maybe I gotta continue this path of testing out different era of Pentax manual focus cams . So far, I think I’ll have fun with this one though.
This has a great size; to always be in the bag. The fast fifty is almost too big for it. I’m surprised at the small size they’ve managed.

I liked one bit of the manual, under maintenance and cleaning :
“Always keep the viewfinder eyepiece, lens and filters as clean as possible. To remove loose dust and dirt, first use the blower and then the brush. Do not wipe off granular dirt or dust – it’s an excellent way of scratching the glass”.

Regarding storage, they state:
“Where to keep your camera while you are not using it is an important point. The best storage place is cool, dry clean and well-ventilated. Because of the possible build up of humidity, it is risky to store your camera in a cabinet or closet.”

One thing that is cool with a manual film cam, is the wide range in which it can be used :
“The temperature range at which your camera will continue to function properly stretches from 50 degrees C to -20 degrees C.”

I went into a dedicated specialty store, to find the right batteries for it. I said I needed two 1.5 V alkaline batteries. They said that they had 50-100 batteries that matched that description, with different sizes, etc.
But we managed to find around the right size, which made the camera work, when inserted. (They were called AG13 LR44 watch batteries. 11,6 x 5.4 mm). They said that if the batteries weren’t right, then the flash might not work properly. But as it doesn’t have a flash, and I don’t plan to use it much with flash, then I should be fine.

For a student on a budget, I thought this film cam sub-forum; would be a better place to stay. To not want to buy the latest new DSLR. But know I find that there are a lot of interesting older Pentax film SLRs around
Attached Images

Last edited by Jonson PL; 08-29-2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: typo
09-01-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I do feel like an manual focus all metal cam, ought to be able to function without batteries. (Or at least be able to trip the shutter). So maybe I gotta continue this path of testing out different era of Pentax manual focus cams . So far, I think I’ll have fun with this one though.
This has a great size; to always be in the bag. The fast fifty is almost too big for it. I’m surprised at the small size they’ve managed.
if this is how you feel, then it wont be long until you venture in full manual mechanical bodies. such as the K series. then you are going to start wondering about M42's. at this point I can only suggest one camera. SV. no meter. no batteries. no obstructions in the viewfinder. super awesome Fresnel/micro-prism screen. everything you need, nothing you don't. compact. elegent, simple to use, and joy just to hold.

09-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
if this is how you feel, then it wont be long until you venture in full manual mechanical bodies. such as the K series. then you are going to start wondering about M42's. at this point I can only suggest one camera. SV. no meter. no batteries. no obstructions in the viewfinder. super awesome Fresnel/micro-prism screen. everything you need, nothing you don't. compact. elegent, simple to use, and joy just to hold.
I’ve seen the SV, from other posts in the forum. It looks awesome, and should have a superb feel.
I think my next move will be the ME-Super. Then likely the K2 or KX. Then we’ll see from there

Top class shots on your blog
10-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Congrats on your new addition. I look forward to seeing some images.
Thanks Javier,
this is only the second Tri-x that I ever have shot, but so far I'm very fond of the look from proper B&W film. It just gives a different look, than converted digital.

I'm so happy that you've all showed, and been helpful in revealing all the great fun with full control manual photography.
10-16-2009, 11:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Thanks Javier,
this is only the second Tri-x that I ever have shot, but so far I'm very fond of the look from proper B&W film. It just gives a different look, than converted digital.
Yes, You can't beat the real thing.