Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also check the mypentax.com page for tips and tricks regarding maintenance and repair

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
The EV ring seems to be nice and tight, no wiggle. It's underexposing by more than 2 EV though, so I didn't think a loose ring could have caused it.

I'm going to go to my local camera shop and see if I can find just a different set of batteries to try, Maybe LR44s. The battery compartment looks bloody spotless, but I'll make double sure anyway. I'm thinking I may have to get a donor camera and swap electronics or send it out to have it done though.

Checking the article Titrisol linked me to now. This is a pristine, babied ME super without a mark on it. It'd be a terrible shame if it didn't work in Auto because of this.

Thank you all for your continued help and suggestions!

04-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #17
Pentaxian

The exposure compensation dial on my Program Plus was dirty when I got it. It behaved very erratically and even would error out (E on the digital display).

I had to do more than "wiggle" the dial. Grab the exposure compensation dial and scrub it back and forth, all the way from -2 to +2. Pay attention to the spots where the clickstops are. Scrub the contacts back and forth against each other by turning the dial. I know it's an inefficient method of cleaning, rubbing two dirty parts against each other, but it will often clean a contact enough to get it working again. It saves having to disassemble the camera just to clean the contacts.

I had to regularly scrub my exposure compensation dial back and forth for the first month I had the camera. Now, it works just fine on its own. But using the dial occasionally is the only way to keep it clean.
04-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

The ISO resistor is very prone to corrosion and will cause underexposure in automatic. This is a "feature" shared by the LX, BTW.
As the ISO resistor and the exposure compensation adjuster are one and the same, the "scrubbing" fix posted earlier is the only way a user can resolve the problem without disassembly. Later LXs had gold coated wire used in the ISO resistor which apparently fixed the problem, though all three of my LXs had newer resistors put in at their last servicing, and all three still will underexpose from time to time.
It's also a good idea to exercise the aperture cam follower periodically to try to keep it clean.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 04-18-2009 at 03:02 PM.
04-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Grinding the EV compensator back and forth seems to be doing some good. It's only underexposing by one stop compared to the K1000's meter reading now.

04-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
My last roll that came out of my ME SUPER was all under exposed.. Likely though it was the lab as all my previous rolls where fine.
I used to think all my shots were under exposed from the prints I was getting from my local lab. Then I started just having them develop the roll with no prints and scanning it myself (since the prints sucked anyway). Shots I though that I had just messed up on before were actually just fine with my scans. So it turns out I wasn't nearly as bad of a photographer as I was starting to think I was. I guess it's just hard to find a good lab for film prints, at least where I'm at.
04-23-2009, 06:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After grinding on the EV ring, I shot a whole roll on Saturday at a board game meetup. Every shot came out correctly exposed (Maybe not correctly *composed* or focused, but correctly exposed) so the EV-ring contacts seemed to be the problem.

Thank you all for your help!