Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Thanks so much Javier! The first thing I notice is that Gold makes the women look young, and Ektar makes them look old
This was so funny as I had not noticed...LOL...

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Gold seems to have a much higher contrast, the shadows tend to get blocked. The tonal range of Ektar seems longer.
i did notice the contrast as well. I also noticed the grain was quite heavier on the gold. I did not notice much on the shadows.

04-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
maybe it would have been better to wait for a sunny day to see all the colours in their full glory?
You are 100% right and I was bugged when I got there to find the clouds and to find they did not go away. I will be shooting with the Ektar most of the week so I will see what I come up with. I also did not stage any shots or try and change what I do so I could get a realistic idea of what it is like. I am also not used to using films lower than 200...Most of the films I use are 200-400 and now I am using UltraMax 800 so many things where different for me, like the lower shutter speeds and larger aperture settings...All in all I was happy with the Ektar, especially in the way it converts to black and white..
04-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ektar converted to black and white.
04-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most color negative films seem to benefit from a bit of overexposure, up to one full stop.

I like the overall look of the Ektar, but those reds and blues are a bit too intense.

Chris

04-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Most color negative films seem to benefit from a bit of overexposure, up to one full stop.

I like the overall look of the Ektar, but those reds and blues are a bit too intense.

Chris
I gotta say this is about the most intense RED I have seen in a long while!

Yikes

Maybe take the contrast down a notch or two?

Steve

again...
04-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #36
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Kodal Gold 100

Ektar 100
Unfortunately, your pictures wouldn't open in my server.
04-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I gotta say this is about the most intense RED I have seen in a long while!

Yikes

Maybe take the contrast down a notch or two?

Steve

again...
Steve, I was very hesitant in posting this image up because of that crazy red. In fact I was embarrassed, but since it is a test, I put it up as I got it. I will scan this image myself and see what I get in a little while.

04-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, here is the original target scan.

Here is my Scan using my HP g3010 with Vue scan..As it came out of the machine
04-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I also took a point and shoot that day but have not looked at the pictures. I will see if by chance I have some of him. I am curious to see what color his shirt is. I really don't remember.
04-27-2009, 07:10 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Kodak Gold 100

Ektar 100
This is really annoying. I don't know if you are doing it or where you got the negatives scanned at but all of these pictures have been edited. The sky in all of them has been brought down some and there is a halo around everything that borders the sky. Which is frustrating when trying to compare films.
04-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zplus Quote
This is really annoying. I don't know if you are doing it or where you got the negatives scanned at but all of these pictures have been edited. The sky in all of them has been brought down some and there is a halo around everything that borders the sky. Which is frustrating when trying to compare films.
Have you read all the posts in this thread?
04-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Have you read all the posts in this thread?
All I'm saying is that I wish they were straight from the scans, without you or target editing them. Just venting frustrations (some of which I think is coming from the news and rumors section), move along now. Don't worry about it...
04-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zplus Quote
move along now. Don't worry about it...
Why don't you move along now. Dude had you ''read'' the posts you would have known that I did no such editing. Target? Maybe. Why don't YOU go and do your own testing your highness....and move along now.....
04-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are some more Etkar 100 images. These I scanned myself..HP G3010 with Vue Scan software set to a neutral position. Scanned to 600 DPI and resized and cropped for straightening. The colors are still crazy, but have decided after scanning many different types of films and having processing work done at CVS, WALGRENS, TARGET and a couple of Pro Shops, that these are what they are..Personally, I don't really like this film for ''my'' type of shooting. I can see that for the landscape shooter, this film would be a good choice. The reds are a tad to strong for me.

I also noticed that it appears my ME SUPER will be going back to ERIC for a CLA as it looks like the seals are leaking. I had a CLA done when I first bought the camera.

04-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster