Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 775 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #2041
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yes being old does have some benefits! You get to buy toys you could not afford when you were younger. Yeah to me the 28/50/135 prime kit on film is about as good as it gets.
When I bought my new H1a in 1965 it was 55/135 (and later 85), as SLR and long lenses go together. The classic kit for the Leica M4 rangefinder I bought at the end of college in 1968 was 35/50/90 - and much later added a 21. The Leica is at its best with 35 or 50 in low light, where it is MUCH easier to focus than an SLR. Newer Leica models added a 28mm viewfinder frame, but other wides (like the 21) need a separate finder. They also have a 135 frame, but I find an SLR easier with 135 and longer.

(I do have a Visoflex mirror/prism housing that converts the Leica rangefinders to SLR for longer lenses and macro work; but a Pentax is much simpler, and long lenses are not traditionally all that great on Leica.)

10-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #2042
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Classic Three-Lens Kit

This setup is very similar to Phil's (above) except that most of the elements are about 3 years newer.

I got the body this last Spring and the two taks after that. The Viv 135/2.8 has been on my shelf for a couple of years. The camera is currently loaded with its first roll of film (Rollei Retro 80s) and I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Steve
10-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #2043
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
I'm sure you'll love it, but I'm curious how you would compare it to a K series camera.
The SPII feels and handles pretty much the same as my KX. Except for the viewfinder information, changing lenses, and a different shutter note, the experience is surprisingly similar.

Steve
10-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #2044
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
When I bought my new H1a in 1965 it was 55/135 (and later 85), as SLR and long lenses go together. The classic kit for the Leica M4 rangefinder I bought at the end of college in 1968 was 35/50/90 - and much later added a 21. The Leica is at its best with 35 or 50 in low light, where it is MUCH easier to focus than an SLR. Newer Leica models added a 28mm viewfinder frame, but other wides (like the 21) need a separate finder. They also have a 135 frame, but I find an SLR easier with 135 and longer.

(I do have a Visoflex mirror/prism housing that converts the Leica rangefinders to SLR for longer lenses and macro work; but a Pentax is much simpler, and long lenses are not traditionally all that great on Leica.)
Yeah owing a Leica is on my “bucket list”. Hopefully some day.

Phil.

10-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #2045
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The Classic Three-Lens Kit

This setup is very similar to Phil's (above) except that most of the elements are about 3 years newer.

I got the body this last Spring and the two taks after that. The Viv 135/2.8 has been on my shelf for a couple of years. The camera is currently loaded with its first roll of film (Rollei Retro 80s) and I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Steve
Very nice, looking forward to seeing some shots using the Rollei!

Phil.
10-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #2046

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I recently acquired this Minolta XE-7 for basically $20. I've never really used any MD mount Minoltas (I sorta started out on an Alpha mount 303si Super), but I've always been curious about them. I ran across this one on ebay with bad photos and a bad listing but if you looked close at the photos, it didn't look to bad so I took a gamble and bought it. After a bit of a fiasco with shipping, it finally arrived so I put some batteries in it and low and behold, it seemed to work fine. I attached an old Rokkor 45/2 that a friend gave me, loaded some cheap film, and went outside shooting.
This camera is interesting in that (according to various internet sources) it was the first camera to come out of a cooperation between Minolta and Leica. When Minolta introduced the XE-7, Leica introduced the R3. Both cameras are nearly the same apart from the mount, focusing screens, and some electronics. Most of the user reviews (that I've found) of either camera, claim that they are possibly the smoothest operating SLRs ever made. Having used it only briefly, I will say they are probably right, though IMHO, the Asahi Pentax SV is smoother
I am also quite impressed with the little 45/2.
You're in for a treat. If you like wides, do yourself a favor and pick up an MD 24mm 2.8 (can be had for less than $150). I'll take that lens to my grave.

Since the MD lens mount is defunct, all of those great Rokkors are film orphans in a megapixel world. I'm a bit of a "rescue" home myself.
10-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #2047
Veteran Member

Yeah owing a Leica is on my “bucket list”. Hopefully some day.

Phil.
I had one basically dropped in my lap, paid $100 for it and another $400 to fix it up. I now have an M2 with 35mm f/2.5 Voigtlander Color Skopar, an 85mm f/2 Canon Serenar, and a Jupiter 8 f/2 50mm. They are all adapted from LTM and all work great on the M.

If you want the Leica experience for less than $5,000, there are some great Voigtlander Bessa cameras and Voigtlander M lenses out there. The Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.1, and 75mm f/1.8, plus a metered or AE body, for under $3k.

10-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #2048
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
If you want the Leica experience for less than $5,000, there are some great Voigtlander Bessa cameras and Voigtlander M lenses out there. The Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.1, and 75mm f/1.8, plus a metered or AE body, for under $3k.
I haven't tried any of the Bessa models, but the Voigtlander Leica-mount lenses are indeed nice. I have the 35 f1.4, and while nice, it has a LOT of focus shift as you stop down; so I use it mainly as a dim-light lens. The 35 f2.5 is a better all around lens. Also, the 50 f1.1 is a heavy beast, while the 50 f1.5 was perhaps the best of the Voigtlander lenses made. I also prefer the 75 f2.5 to the f1.8 model.
Lately Voigtlander has been stressing very fast lenses, also very big (by Leica standards), and they tend to have more focus shift and sample to sample variation in performance than their older, slower lenses. All are well made, but I'd prefer to see them stress medium speed and better performance. (But the same Cosina factory makes the Zeiss Leica-mount lenses, which are more medium speed and higher performance, so there may be a non-compete issue...)
11-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #2049
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I had one basically dropped in my lap, paid $100 for it and another $400 to fix it up. I now have an M2 with 35mm f/2.5 Voigtlander Color Skopar, an 85mm f/2 Canon Serenar, and a Jupiter 8 f/2 50mm. They are all adapted from LTM and all work great on the M.

Nice pickup for $100.00. I was in Germany last month and saw a lot of used Leica's, still very pricey.

Phil.
11-01-2012, 08:12 PM - 2 Likes   #2050
Pentaxian

I was using the LX the other day when I had an epiphany . . . If one LX is great, then two LX's would be even greater!

After I took this shot of the view of the new-to-me LX with my first LX another moment of clarity hit me . . . If I had a third LX, I could use it to take this shot of the view of the new-to-me LX with my first LX!!!

11-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #2051
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I was using the LX the other day when I had an epiphany . . . If one LX is great, then two LX's would be even greater!

After I took this shot of the view of the new-to-me LX with my first LX another moment of clarity hit me . . . If I had a third LX, I could use it to take this shot of the view of the new-to-me LX with my first LX!!!
Nice shot, having an epiphany is a good thing but usually costs money!

Phil.
11-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #2052
Pentaxian

no make a shot from the viewfinder where we see a viewfinder from a LX with pictured (your could guess it already) a viewfinder from a LX, with....etc. etc.

Henk
11-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #2053
Pentaxian

Hey! Who's hogging all the LXs?
11-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #2054
Pentaxian

Last night it came to me in a dream . . . Jeannie granted me three wishes . . . two of those I used to get two more LX's! Because with four arranged to view each other through the viewfinder, I figure it will look like those infinity mirror shots

Nice shot, having an epiphany is a good thing but usually costs money!

Phil.
Ain't that the truth!
11-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #2055
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

How about "infinite" LX!!!

Steve