Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 775 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2022, 01:11 AM   #3451
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Griz Bearson Quote
After lurking here for quite a while, here is my first post. This is a brand new, never used, in box, complete with manual and paperwork LX and winder. I just got it last week. I also have 2 more LXs, a MX and 2 K1000s.
Lovely equipment there!

07-13-2022, 01:22 AM   #3452
Pentaxian

After lurking here for quite a while, here is my first post. This is a brand new, never used, in box, complete with manual and paperwork LX and winder. I just got it last week. I also have 2 more LXs, a MX and 2 K1000s.
Wow. Welcome to the forum - I see you're off to a running start with some beautiful gear.
07-13-2022, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #3453
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum and your new LX looks lovely!

Phil.
07-13-2022, 01:15 PM   #3454
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! What a nice kit you have there

07-16-2022, 01:21 PM - 5 Likes   #3455

Name:  K1000.jpeg
Views: 348
Size:  106.5 KB

In defense of my camera of choice: the K1000. . .

I've used my fiancee's Nikon and Canon DSLR cameras, my mother's Pentax DSLR, and have briefly owned an ME Super and a couple MX units. Nothing does it for me like the K1000. It gets me excited to keep practicing and improving. It has everything I need and no distractions. The viewfinder is an unobstructed window to the other world, the mirror world, more honest than our own, now more ideal, now more brutal. I go there and meet my companion the needle, silent, modest, loyal.

There's nothing sexy about the K1000. My copy has brassing, dents, scratches and pits. The vast expanses of uninterrupted black leatherette on the film door and the front left face make it look like something's missing. Clunky? It's the perfect size to melt into my hands. Heavy? Its heft says, "I'm not going anywhere." Stupid hipster doofus? You're jealous.

Lens: Pentax M 50mm F2 that came with my camera. I used to have 28mm and 135mm lenses that I scarcely used. I've bought faster 50mm lenses and returned them when I realized I didn't need them.

Film: HP5 is my go-to right now – cheap! I shot Ultramax and Portra before I fell in love with B&W.

Last edited by charlesdanb; 07-16-2022 at 02:41 PM.
07-16-2022, 02:59 PM - 2 Likes   #3456
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by charlesdanb Quote
Attachment 578807

In defense of my camera of choice: the K1000. . .

I've used my fiancee's Nikon and Canon DSLR cameras, my mother's Pentax DSLR, and have briefly owned an ME Super and a couple MX units. Nothing does it for me like the K1000. It gets me excited to keep practicing and improving. It has everything I need and no distractions. The viewfinder is an unobstructed window to the other world, the mirror world, more honest than our own, now more ideal, now more brutal. I go there and meet my companion the needle, silent, modest, loyal.

There's nothing sexy about the K1000. My copy has brassing, dents, scratches and pits. The vast expanses of uninterrupted black leatherette on the film door and the front left face make it look like something's missing. Clunky? It's the perfect size to melt into my hands. Heavy? Its heft says, "I'm not going anywhere." Stupid hipster doofus? You're jealous.

Lens: Pentax M 50mm F2 that came with my camera. I used to have 28mm and 135mm lenses that I scarcely used. I've bought faster 50mm lenses and returned them when I realized I didn't need them.

Film: HP5 is my go-to right now – cheap! I shot Ultramax and Portra before I fell in love with B&W.
I travelled all over the world--Africa, Asia, and Europe--with the Sears 1000, which was functionally about the same camera. I loved this old camera, and never thought I knew anything about photography. I did not have a light indicator on my camera, so I just used Sunny 16. I learned how to estimate the light level to the point that I hardly ever had any unusable photos (though a few dark ones, never overly light ones for some reason). Nowadays I use Av mode and AF on my K-1, but when I am in a hurry and do not want to take a chance on the automated features, I revert to the all-manual mode, and it seems to work out pretty well. Hope you have fun with yours.
07-17-2022, 11:35 AM   #3457

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I travelled all over the world--Africa, Asia, and Europe--with the Sears 1000, which was functionally about the same camera. I loved this old camera, and never thought I knew anything about photography. I did not have a light indicator on my camera, so I just used Sunny 16. I learned how to estimate the light level to the point that I hardly ever had any unusable photos (though a few dark ones, never overly light ones for some reason). Nowadays I use Av mode and AF on my K-1, but when I am in a hurry and do not want to take a chance on the automated features, I revert to the all-manual mode, and it seems to work out pretty well. Hope you have fun with yours.
Thank you Ivan. Have you shared any travel photos here taken with the Sears? I'd be keen to see them.

07-17-2022, 05:38 PM - 3 Likes   #3458
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by charlesdanb Quote
Thank you Ivan. Have you shared any travel photos here taken with the Sears? I'd be keen to see them.
Most of my photographic work was destroyed during a vengeful divorce action against me some ten years back, I am sorry to say. However, I still recall my safari days with great pleasure, though I do not remember my travel in a non-airconditioned, open Land Rover over 50 miles of washboard gravel roads with any great pleasure!
07-14-2023, 02:35 PM - 6 Likes   #3459
Pentaxian

Finally, I now have an LX 2000:
07-14-2023, 04:58 PM - 2 Likes   #3460
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's my latest Pentax film camera... Another PZ-1p. You can never have enough of these ..

07-14-2023, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #3461
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Finally, I now have an LX 2000:
That's lovely. Are you going to carve it a hardwood grip?

Walnut would be a really nice looking wood for that.
07-14-2023, 07:44 PM - 2 Likes   #3462
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Here's my latest Pentax film camera... Another PZ-1p. You can never have enough of these ..
I just picked up a PZ-1, but not a P...

Name:  DSCF1701.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  99.4 KB

Name:  DSCF1700.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  94.6 KB
07-14-2023, 07:47 PM   #3463
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That's lovely. Are you going to carve it a hardwood grip?

Walnut would be a really nice looking wood for that.
Thank you. I just might now that you've suggested it. I agree, walnut would look great.
07-17-2023, 12:36 AM - 6 Likes   #3464
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Didn't show you my *ists

Pentax *ist with grip • Pentax FA* 24mm F2 IF AL
07-17-2023, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #3465
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I agree. I have three of these now. Maybe I should do a group shot?