Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Super Program + Viv S1 70-210mm w/ A setting = no auto aperture

Kind of an odd one...

Other A-lenses work fine on the Super Program (have auto-aperture functions in Program mode), but the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm v3 doesn't.

However, the Viv S1 DOES work in program mode on the K20D.

Any ideas as to what's going wrong? I'm pretty certain the Viv S1 once DID work on the Super Program, but it sure isn't now.

Thanks!

04-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nobody, eh?
04-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Version 3 of the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm

Note 2: Pentax-specific: The presence of the of the "A" setting, in addition to its high resolution, is what makes version 3 so desirable today, but Vivitar/Komine only added this feature part way through the production run so not all version 3 lenses have it: Be sure to check before buying.

see details here: Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 Macro Zoom Lenses - Mark Roberts Photography

-
04-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe a slight difference in tolerances keeping the lens contacts from touching the Super Program body properly even though they are fine on the K20? I would start by making sure the contacts are clean and maybe seeing if wiggling the Vivitar around a bit when it is on the film body changes anything. I can't offer any specific fix, that isn't an issue I've run into before (my film bodies both have completely manual mounts).

04-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
Version 3 of the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm

Note 2: Pentax-specific: The presence of the of the "A" setting, in addition to its high resolution, is what makes version 3 so desirable today, but Vivitar/Komine only added this feature part way through the production run so not all version 3 lenses have it: Be sure to check before buying.

see details here: Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 Macro Zoom Lenses - Mark Roberts Photography

-
Yes, that's the version I have.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Maybe a slight difference in tolerances keeping the lens contacts from touching the Super Program body properly even though they are fine on the K20? I would start by making sure the contacts are clean and maybe seeing if wiggling the Vivitar around a bit when it is on the film body changes anything. I can't offer any specific fix, that isn't an issue I've run into before (my film bodies both have completely manual mounts).
Yeah, I thought about that and I'll try it tonight. Just seems very, very strange to me. Must be something that simple.
04-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Yes, that's the version I have.
Does your Version 3 have the 'A' setting or not? As there seems to be 2 versions of Version 3 according to that site.
04-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
Does your Version 3 have the 'A' setting or not? As there seems to be 2 versions of Version 3 according to that site.
Yes, it has the A-setting. Hence my use of "other A-lenses" in the first post, and noting the fact that it works in program mode on the K20D.

04-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Welp, I just thoroughly cleaned the contacts, got no response.

So I started pressing down on the lens against the mount and got intermittent program mode. The slightest movement would cause it to go into or out of program mode.

So I guess, as Steinback suggested, the tolerances are just a tiny bit off. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do about this? Can the pin be extended somehow?
04-23-2009, 05:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Welp, I just thoroughly cleaned the contacts, got no response.

So I started pressing down on the lens against the mount and got intermittent program mode. The slightest movement would cause it to go into or out of program mode.
Perhaps squirting a ~tiny~ bit of old-fashioned "TV tuner cleaner" (Radio Shack?) into the pin's socket (or, maybe even a drop of 90% isopropyl/"rubbing" alcohol), and then working the pin in/out/back/forth/etc., is worth a try. Perhaps the intermittency is just within the mount, and not at the interface between lens and body (?).
04-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Perhaps the intermittency is just within the mount, and not at the interface between lens and body (?).
Perhaps, except that as I said, it works perfectly on the K20D. Maybe the K20D mount just compresses the pin more tightly, I dunno.