Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Opinions on the *ist SLR

There is a local store that has a brand new, still in box *ist SLR. It's selling for $200 Canadian. Can anyone who owns one or has owned one give my their opinion on it?

04-22-2009, 03:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've never seen one, but I know that they have the same crippled mount as Pentax DSLRs. Still, $200 Canadian for the last Pentax film camera doesn't sound too bad if you have new lenses for it.
04-22-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's a recent thread regarding the ist

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/53701-ist-film-slr.html

I've got one, like it a lot, it's very small. The 'Crippled' mount hasn't been a problem,
I just use a newer lens. $200 cad is a good price.
04-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
I've never seen one, but I know that they have the same crippled mount as Pentax DSLRs. Still, $200 Canadian for the last Pentax film camera doesn't sound too bad if you have new lenses for it.
Thanks brkl, I'm debating it still. Not too worried about the 'crippled' mount as I'd probably throw a DA40 f/2.8 Ltd or a FA50 f/1.4 on.

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
Here's a recent thread regarding the ist

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/53701-ist-film-slr.html

I've got one, like it a lot, it's very small. The 'Crippled' mount hasn't been a problem,
I just use a newer lens. $200 cad is a good price.
Thanks for the link thazooo, that answered a few questions I had.

04-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

to me it loks kinda cheap, but if you're into the small size and/or using DA lenses, might be worth a shot if the price is right, for me $200 is a bit much, i sold my ZX-L which has most of the functionality (except selectable af points and explicit metering mode selection) and non cripple mount for all your manual lenses for about $85
04-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
There is a local store that has a brand new, still in box *ist SLR. It's selling for $200 Canadian. Can anyone who owns one or has owned one give my their opinion on it?
I think you can get a better camera for less. The MZ series has a similar build quality (not great), but supports legacy lenses, the older PZ series has better build quality.
Film camera prices are pretty much in freefall now. Look at what used *ists are going for and you might rethink what you are willing to pay.
04-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It's light, but not cheap. Actually it looks no cheaper to me than the MZ-5n

I sold mine last year to a guy in Israel for about $350 with the grip. I paid about that for it new with shipping.

This was a really nice camera, and amazingly compact yet had more technology packed into it than the flagship MZ-S.

This isn't a camera you would pound nails or tent stake with, and I never liked the champagne color, but I never had a problem with it.

It is so small you will want the grip for it, which is hard to find. The grip takes AA batteries and I put 4AA lithiums in it to save weight. The cost of the AA lithiums is still less than the CR2 batteries it takes but it will work in any weather, and last forever on 4 AAs. Of course when you really want to go small and light, lose the grip and this camera almost fits in a pocket. Put the DA 40mm (yeah, I know the 40 is a digital lens, but if you have one already, put it on, it will work) on it for a real compact package.

Not sure what else to say other than it was the most advanced (film) camera ever built for it's size. I wrestled with selling it but the truth was I just didn't shoot enough film to justify keeping it.

04-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
to me it loks kinda cheap, but if you're into the small size and/or using DA lenses, might be worth a shot if the price is right, for me $200 is a bit much, i sold my ZX-L which has most of the functionality (except selectable af points and explicit metering mode selection) and non cripple mount for all your manual lenses for about $85
There is also a MZ-6 (aka ZX-L) for $120. Like you said, pretty much everything the *ist has and no crippled mount. Can I ask why you sold your MZ-6?
04-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

have you read my article here? i've pointed out all the bad things. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/44525-hands-co...6-vs-mz-s.html

i "upgraded" to a ME Super and MZ-S ... and now two MZ-S's
04-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
have you read my article here? i've pointed out all the bad things. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/44525-hands-co...6-vs-mz-s.html

i "upgraded" to a ME Super and MZ-S ... and now two MZ-S's
Thanks for the link and your time for writing that review. I think I'll stick with what I have for the time being.