Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Online Film Processing?

Returning to film after 25 years of digital, more or less, I'm wondering what the best processing optionas are, particularly online. WalMart doesn't do the "professional" or non C41 processes. I have a stack of old York Photo Processing envelopes, but I suspect those aren't valid anymore.

04-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

did you work for NASA or something?

you should check around your local area for photography shops, thats usually the most hassle free way to get your stuff done.
04-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nasa?

I'm not sure...ah! My error....probably not 25 years of digital there. I think 25 years ago I pretty much stopped taking pictures, and then when I started again, we were in the digital era.

So...ideas about processing?
04-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

talk to ken
Photo Labs
there's also the dr5 lab which does B&W chrome
and then there's Richard Photo Lab i heard a lot of pros swear by this one

04-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
Returning to film after 25 years of digital, more or less, I'm wondering what the best processing optionas are, particularly online. WalMart doesn't do the "professional" or non C41 processes. I have a stack of old York Photo Processing envelopes, but I suspect those aren't valid anymore.
Dwayne's Photo has done a really good job for me. They will take pre-paid envelops for slide, but not negative film. My door-to-door turnaround with them (I'm in OK they're in KS) is about 10days with USPS first class mail.
04-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I use my local pro shop McGreevy Pro Lab which is a great lab, they do mail order, but aren't really cheap. That said, ANYTHING you need done from film or digital they can do. While they are too expensive for me to use on a regular basis I am lucky to have a lab this good so close.

The lab I typically use, and have had no problems with as well as being relatively inexpensive is Carl's Darkroom in Colorado. He even has very very very fair pricing on push and pull processing assuming you send in a few rolls. Many places charge a few dollars to 2X the cost per roll to push process but Carl's does it by the rack. So 3 rolls of 645 for $3.50 or 5 rolls of 35mm for $3.50 is really a very fair price.

Beyond that turnaround time is great. Just about a week going priority mail both ways.

A place that I've heard decent things about but not used myself is NCPS they have pretty decent prices and offer a bit more services than Carl's does.

Honestly, while a full service photo finisher is great, all I really need is quality E6 processing. I do the basic scans myself, and occassionally have a wet mount or drum scan done at a lab. Beyond that simply upload your final images to MPIX.com and wait for FedEx to arrive! Never had a problem with my calibrated images from MPIX.
04-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Dwayne's Photo has done a really good job for me. They will take pre-paid envelops for slide, but not negative film. My door-to-door turnaround with them (I'm in OK they're in KS) is about 10days with USPS first class mail.
Dwayne's is very well known in the cine community, and respected for the stocks they process.

07-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #8

We have used BisonPhoto.com for years. They do a great job and get it back quick. They seem to be resonabley priced.