Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone tried the Ilford SPX infrared film?

I just developed a roll of the Ilford SPX infrared film today. I am in the process of scanning them into digital. So far it does not look that great. It didn't give me that infrared effect that I see throughout the internet.

After doing a little research online, I found out that this is not "true" infrared film. I don't know what they mean by that but I am guessing that the image does not look like the typical infrared picture.

I will post the image in a few minutes when I am done scanning them. The image just look like any typical BW film that I've been shooting with the red filter on it.

I used my K1000 with a sigma 28-200mm lens with the Hoya Red filter on it. Would I get a better result if I used a filter designed for IR like the Hoya R72?
I accidentally "pushed" the film to 400 ISO when the film is natived 200 ISO. I am not sure if that has any results on the overall image or not. I would image that it would be more "grain".

Last edited by SuperAkuma; 04-22-2009 at 05:16 PM.
04-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm, did you actually push the film by giving it more development time?..... I've never used that stuff, but with a true infrared film, yes, you'll see more of the IR spectrum in the mix by using a real infrared filter: those'll cut out more of the visible spectrum for you.

Never owned one, of those, myself, to be honest, or used that SFX film at all, my experience is mostly with Kodak's old HIE. I suspect if it looks very ordinary, it's possible that's a result of underexposure. If you corrected focus for the infrared wavelengths, it might be indicative if you actually missed focus.
04-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You will probably see more of an effect with a filter. When this film was re-released they had some kits available with the SFX film and a SFX-labeled Cokin filter. I'm sure that any IR filter would work fine.
04-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hrm, did you actually push the film by giving it more development time?..... I've never used that stuff, but with a true infrared film, yes, you'll see more of the IR spectrum in the mix by using a real infrared filter: those'll cut out more of the visible spectrum for you.

Never owned one, of those, myself, to be honest, or used that SFX film at all, my experience is mostly with Kodak's old HIE. I suspect if it looks very ordinary, it's possible that's a result of underexposure. If you corrected focus for the infrared wavelengths, it might be indicative if you actually missed focus.
Yes I gave it more time. On the box it said 10 min for D-76 developer if I use it without mixing water that is what I did. The developer temp was 68.2 and I gave it 16 minute to develop.

Here are some sample image. I do get the deep dark sky but I think that was just from the red filter. If you look at the 3rd image, the tree is still dark. On most IR image, the tree are white or very light color.

These are just some of the example that I scanned. I did some minor pp like dodgin/burning on some of the image but that was it.
More can be seen here
http://saelee.smugmug.com/gallery/7985836_4Z7oE#518982075_t9F8Q

Last edited by SuperAkuma; 04-22-2009 at 11:06 PM.
04-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, it certainly looks *pretty nice,* anyway, but indeed, it doesn't look much like IR film as we know it, lacking that sort of hazy atmospheric quality you'd see.
04-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Looks good to me for just using a red filter
Yes, you need a R72 or similar filter you'll see a lot of difference

SFX is an extended sensitivity panchro film, i.e. it behaves like a normal film if you do not have a filter but if you use a deep red or darker youll see a better effect.

Check the Flickr group in BW infrared photos, this has been discussed there ad-nauseaum

Last edited by titrisol; 04-24-2009 at 02:51 AM.
04-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Use IR filter.