Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Anyone recognize anything in this photo of Pentax gear?

Someone near me is selling this lot of Pentax stuff. He has no idea what any of it is, and this is the only photo he has provided. I'll probably go have a look at it all, but I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone might recognize anything here. If I do visit this guy, I will let you know how accurate you were in guessing what the heck these things are!

I think I see four lenses (M42?), one flash, two cameras, and probably a meter and maybe a filter case. What do you see?

It's sort of a Pentax Rorschach test!

04-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
MX/ME? body with M lens...either a 50/2, 50/1.7, or 28/2.8

Some kind of rangefinder which just might be a Yashica Electro GSN judging by the aux lens case on the far right (the round-ish one, second from top).

That's about it...
04-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ah, after some googling, I think you're right about the Yashica Electro. So it's not all Pentax stuff. Will lenses with that mount work with anything other than a Yashica?
04-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #4

If the Yashica is the rangefinder mentioned, it is a fixed-lens camera. Given the apparent size of the lens on the Yashica it might even be the Lynx 14 with the f/1.4 lens.

04-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. Any chance this lot of stuff is worth $150? That's what he wants for it all.
04-26-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those Lynxes are pretty desirable, if that's what that is, and it's in any kind of decent shape. If it's a Minister, I think those are collectable for some reason (better check on that) ...I forget what the deal is, there, but that and the Lynx 14, 14E, and the 3000 were on my list when I was looking at compact RF's for a certain purpose... (Then a friend gave me a Canonet to save, and I moved away from where I wanted to carry such a thing for in the first place, so I stopped looking. )

...Anyway, if that's an MX with all that stuff, I'd consider it a fair price to pay, probably, even if you just turn over the compact rangefinder or it's a wash. Those Yashica rangefinders are generally quite nice: I fixed one up for someone some years ago for a gift. I think the Electro models require a battery conversion to operate these days, though, and are a bit easier to come by: they were pretty popular.

Seems the compact rangefinders are in style now, though: it used to be you could hardly give away a Canonet, now they're going for money on the 'bay.
04-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The flash on the rangefinder is a Vivitar. The head design makes me think 285, but the body looks a bit too narrow in that photo. Regardless of the model if it has a low sync voltage it should be a pretty capable manual flash for a digital camera and for a film body the voltage sync won't matter.

04-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My stuff now! :D

OK, I got the whole lot for $80 (he was very flexible), and here's what it all is:

Lenses:

Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 Macro lens for Pentax w/Kalt UV filter

Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 Macro adapter lens (has a tripod mount--what does this thing do?)

Pentax M 50mm f/1.7 lens

Tamron MC Tele Converter 2X for Pentax

Minolta 135mm f/2.8 lens

Lentar 90-230mm f/4.5 lens, M42(?) w/Minolta mount screwed onto it and w/Hoya UV filter

Pentavision Super Wide AF Macro 0.42X lens (not pictured below)

Cameras:

Pentax MX camera

Yashica Lynx-14 with 45mm f/1.4 lens

Flashes:

Vivitar Thyristor 265

Vivitar Wide Angle Attachment V-265

Sunset TR-100

Extras:

PC cable

A whole bunch of lens cases

Old padded camera bag

A bunch of random front and end caps

Some Minolta manuals

Two camera straps

An old key

Here's what it all looks like, minus the lens cases and one of the lenses:

Kudos to ryan s, ChrisN and others for making correct guesses! You guys know your stuff!!

Last edited by Timarete; 04-26-2009 at 08:12 PM.
04-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
Forum Member

You've scored big... that was the price for MX alone (in good condition) and the rest are sweet bonuses. The most valuable from the bunch is the Vivitar 90/2.5, the famous BOKINA that maybe worth around $200.

QuoteOriginally posted by Timarete Quote
OK, I got the whole lot for $80 (he was very flexible), and here's what it all is:
04-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ooh, that's definitely a haul. I think that 90 is probably worth twice the price of admission alone, at least. Macro people seem to prize at least one version of it. I'm not familiar with that adapter, though, ...presumably it increases magnification and, I suppose, couples to the aperture? It looks like it has its own ring for it.

I would not put any of those flashes on a modern camera, though.

(Aha. Someone knows just what that is. The archetypal good find. )

That Minolta lens looks like it'd make someone who shoots pre-Maxxum Minoltas fairly happy, too, ...they made a lot of 135s back then, but that's the genuine article. The Lentar might possibly be a 'T-mount,' though, careful of any M42 adapters you might try to stick it on. Different thread pitch.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-26-2009 at 08:44 PM.
04-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've done some googling and realize now that yes, I did alright. Yay! The Vivitar macro is the sought-after "Series 1" version by Tokina that does 1:1 magnification with the included adapter. Score!

Everything (except the Minolta zoom lens, which has some dents in the metal) is in great condition--a bit dusty, but I'll soon take care of that. I'll probably put the Minolta lenses and the two cameras on eBay, but the rest should be usable. I already have a Weiss safe sync hot shoe adapter, so I can use the old high-powered flashes.

I love old camera equipment. It's fun just having it around.
04-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice job...$80 was the price for my MX alone

If the Minolta lens doesn't sell...take it apart...that's always a fun experience
04-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

That sounds like a sweet deal. The MX along would easily cost as much.

I myself have the Tokina 90/2.5 macro lens, and I think it's one of the better lenses I have right now
04-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Gee Wheez, great deal!
The vivitar macro 90 is a great lens, it has a tripod collar so that you can get closer to the action
The MX is worth every penny and then some, see if it needs service or at least light seals.
04-27-2009, 01:37 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Timarete Quote
Someone near me is selling this lot of Pentax stuff. He has no idea what any of it is, and this is the only photo he has provided. I'll probably go have a look at it all, but I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone might recognize anything here. If I do visit this guy, I will let you know how accurate you were in guessing what the heck these things are!

I think I see four lenses (M42?), one flash, two cameras, and probably a meter and maybe a filter case. What do you see?

It's sort of a Pentax Rorschach test!

I think it is indeed an MX because you can see both the timer on the left side and probably the flash contacts on the right side (from the viewer, left on the camera). Only the MX had the contacts there. But I'm not sure what I see there. It for sure has a timer and then you can exclude the lowly MV since it had non. Guessing that an MX would go better along with someone who use a Yashica RF than a ME/MG/MV etc.

The long lens...wild shot...it gives me a feeling of a realy old Vivitar zoom and it looks like there may be a converter sitting on it.