Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2012, 04:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

for some vintage advice

05-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #17
Banned

Photos: Albums
Pardon my near constant spelling issues; I'll blame it on my spell check.

Anyone ever run into many film respirocity problems? Filters needed for correction? Or alter enlarger/printer settings?
05-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Well, I went out last night & tried a few star trails. PERFECT spot... due north over a pond with some trees for interest; a road beside the pond looking NE, & on the other side, an unobstructed southern horizon over a beach with a wee bit of surf. It was a gorgeous night. But, I think I screwed up the exposure. I thought I recalled from a test shot ages ago that for the lenses I have I needed to stop down by 1 -- too late I dug out the photo to check & that was only for the really bright stars which got a bit blown out. So I wound up shooting with the 19-35mm wide angle on 200 film at 5.6 & 4. DUH. I guess I'll have to do them again because probably most of the dimmer stars won't show. They were 25-minute exposures, -ish, with only a wee bit of light pollution, not enough to obscure the Milky Way. But dang, there went 3 hours & I should have looked up that test shot first.
It will be some time before I can get away to get the film developed -- nearest lab makes for an all-day trip
I could piggyback my camera on the telescope for tracking shots, but still... how do you get a non-blurry foreground? Are those composite shots?
05-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
but still... how do you get a non-blurry foreground?
According to photo-me that milky-way landscape was 25 seconds, ISO 2500 and f2.0.
30 seconds or less with a WA lens is not going to show much star-trailing.