Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-30-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Astrophotography with Film

The other night I did a Bulb exposure with a M 50mm f/1.4. I used Kodak UltraMax 400, f/9, 30min. A couple of star trails showed up but, the sky was a medium-dark blue to almost white near the horizon.

Tonight I did 2 Moon shots with the M 150mm f/3.5; one at f/8 1/125 and one at f/5.6 1/125. Also a single 45min exposure at f/16, I used the M 28mm f/3.5 with Fuji 800 X-Tra. The lens was turned straight up to get the brightest stars this time. I'll get them developed tomorrow to see how they turned out.

Has anyone got any examples to show me/others how its done? I've been doing some reading on it however, I'm literally shooting in the dark

05-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
Inactive Account

From what I've read, some faster films have greater reciprocity failure, and actually end up needing longer exposures than slower ones once you get into the minute-range. Plus the added grain, less accurate colour and potential colour shifts.

Slide film is typically used, but most sources seem to favour the Fuji superia family, from ISO 100-400. Maybe consider using a Flourescent balanced filter if you're getting a green shift in the results.

And try shooting on auto with an LX :P
05-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
Inactive Account

This forum has an excellent area on film astro work.
Telescope Reviews: Viewing list of forums
05-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
From what I've read, some faster films have greater reciprocity failure, and actually end up needing longer exposures than slower ones once you get into the minute-range. Plus the added grain, less accurate colour and potential colour shifts.

Slide film is typically used, but most sources seem to favour the Fuji superia family, from ISO 100-400. Maybe consider using a Flourescent balanced filter if you're getting a green shift in the results.
I used Fuji 800 X-Tra last night. Once the film has been developed today I'll scan it in and post the results, regardless if good or bad.

05-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
This forum has an excellent area on film astro work.
Telescope Reviews: Viewing list of forums
Thanks wildlifephotog, great link. The very first post in the Astrophotography forum says Fuji 800 X-Tra is, quote:
"Your link for color negative films lists Fuji Superia X-tra 800 speed as the best color negative film. I have tryed several different color negative films and would have to agree, it has the both the best red response and the lowest reciprocity failure. It isn't as good as some of the slide films (like E200), but it's worlds better than stuff like T-max. "

So it may appear that I used the right film, by fluke, I'll find out soon enough today.
05-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Provia 100. f/11 for about 3 1/2 hours. This was actually a massive faliure, it was very blown out because I was only ment to leave it out for 2 hours, and cause the sky round my area suffers light pollution. I had to recover the photo with photoshop.
05-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Cosmo, 3.5 hrs, wow. I sat beside my camera for only 45min and had 5 games of cribbage with my cell phone and thought that was a long time, lol. As for your image I like it despite the 'blow-out' the rest looks great to me. Thanks for sharing.

05-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

In the arctic circle, it's dark for 6 months, so you can do 24hour exposures, or longer.
05-01-2009, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

05-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Now that is well done!

I'm expecting nothing like that from my attempt.
05-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Fuji provia M-35 f2 at f2.8-3.5 I think. When I go more telephoto I stop down a little more.
Ryan
12-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
Wow, fabulous.
12-17-2009, 02:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Cosmo, how long was the exposure on that one?!

I'll put my guess on 8-9h, am I close?

Fantastic photo!
05-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Although this was an old thread, it came up when I searched the forum for film astrophotography & seemed more of a match than some of the others...
I've done a star trail shot or 2 in the past & would now like to try some more, but I'd really like to do something like this, for example: http://www.twanight.org/newTWAN/news/6071-12.jpg
Although I've been searching for articles online & also have a library book on order, I have yet to find an explanation of how they're done. Are they all digital composites? If you track the stars, your foreground is going to blur, & if you have the camera fixed you'll get star trails. The minimal comments I've seen on these suggest they're the product of digicams set on ISO 3200 or something like. I shot a roll of 1600 film in pre-dawn conditions once & it was pretty grainy. So are these kinds of photos out of reach for film shooters, or what? If they're not, does anyone have any good links to pages on how-to?
Thanks!
05-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Although this was an old thread, it came up when I searched the forum for film astrophotography & seemed more of a match than some of the others...
I've done a star trail shot or 2 in the past & would now like to try some more, but I'd really like to do something like this, for example: http://www.twanight.org/newTWAN/news/6071-12.jpg
Although I've been searching for articles online & also have a library book on order, I have yet to find an explanation of how they're done. Are they all digital composites? If you track the stars, your foreground is going to blur, & if you have the camera fixed you'll get star trails. The minimal comments I've seen on these suggest they're the product of digicams set on ISO 3200 or something like. I shot a roll of 1600 film in pre-dawn conditions once & it was pretty grainy. So are these kinds of photos out of reach for film shooters, or what? If they're not, does anyone have any good links to pages on how-to?
Thanks!
You could google Wally Palcholka. He originally shot similar scenes using film and was selling prints through various outlets in the SW USA. I first saw his work in a gift shop at Grand Canyon and was impressed. This is his current site Astropics Home Page Photographs by Wally Pacholka and as far as I know, he has now gone digital. Film is good but digi is way more versatile.