Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Expired Plus X

I acquired a couple of rolls of Plus-X for a very low price and one of them is still within the expiration date but the other was out of date as of July, 2008. To be honest, I've probably only shot Plus-X once in the last 35 years simply because I usually just picked up Tri-X instead. Now I know that eventually color film starts acting kind of funky when it's expired but what does b&w film do, if anything, when it's out of date. In the past, I never let a roll sit around long enough to find out.

CW

05-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
I acquired a couple of rolls of Plus-X for a very low price and one of them is still within the expiration date but the other was out of date as of July, 2008. To be honest, I've probably only shot Plus-X once in the last 35 years simply because I usually just picked up Tri-X instead. Now I know that eventually color film starts acting kind of funky when it's expired but what does b&w film do, if anything, when it's out of date. In the past, I never let a roll sit around long enough to find out.

CW
They are usually conservative on the expiry dates. Probably wouldn't notice any difference depending on how it was stored. Shoot it on things that really won't matter if they don't come out perfect and have fun. It's only one roll after all.
05-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Ive shot some ilford film 8 years past the expiration date and it came out a little grainy but fine, not sure about plusx though.
05-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote

CW
I've shot b/w film that was seriously out of date with little problem. If the film wasn't abused it should be OK. If it's anything like b/w photo paper, it will loose a little contrast as it gets older, but with paper it was caused more by age fogging than anything else.

jimH

07-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I just used some Plus-X (old emulsion) that expired in early 2004. The negatives look good in terms of range and fog. I used Rodinal 1:50.
07-06-2009, 07:54 AM   #6
Inactive Account

BW's a lot more stable than colour film. Unless it was stored next to the core of a nuclear reactor, it should be fine.
07-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
BW's a lot more stable than colour film. Unless it was stored next to the core of a nuclear reactor, it should be fine.
Good, I just got about 12 rolls of X out of cold storage. My boss gave it to me. There is also a brick of Fujichrome 64T and 100 slide film but I'm guessing it is crap since it expired in 2001.

07-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love shooting expired film and the results that agnostic gets with it is unreal!
07-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Good, I just got about 12 rolls of X out of cold storage. My boss gave it to me. There is also a brick of Fujichrome 64T and 100 slide film but I'm guessing it is crap since it expired in 2001.
If it has been in the fridge, I bet it is still pretty good. Just shoot it a full stop over.
07-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #10

Quick, put it back in the freezer to slow the deteration. I just pulled out a roll today. Of course the way I shoot, it's just going to get messed up anyway.

Steve N
07-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
If it has been in the fridge, I bet it is still pretty good. Just shoot it a full stop over.
Hey I did'nt know about the one stop over. Thanks.

Steve N
07-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

If the expiry date was more than 3 years over I'd compensate +1
But is just a few months, plus you are in Alaska so it was maybe kept-in-the-cold

Just shoot and develop as 120 and enjoy yourself.
07-07-2009, 04:42 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Eh, take it all! What've you got to lose?

As graphics said, they're very, very conservative about expiry dates. Keeps you buying more film, and stops people complaining. Stops major photo agencies suing, too, I'd imagine.

You'll probably have to filter the crap outta the T to shoot it in daylight, which'd bring its speed down even more.