Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #1

Suggestions for slide developers

Hello all,

I'm starting to get into film photography, and am really interested in doing mostly black and white, and color slides. I'm thinking that for b&w, I'd like to develop my own negatives at home, and scan them, but I'm hoping someone here might have some good suggestions on slide developing. I've been searching my area, and can't find anyone still in business locally. So, mail order looks like my only option. Can someone point me towards some good and hopefully economical developers? I've found one that I will probably try. Yellowstone photo in Montana will do a 36 exposure roll for $9.99, and they send mailers. Any other good options?

05-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also, can you buy E-6 chemicals? I really want to start developing my slides to save money and time.
05-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's one in Texas, that seems reasonably priced.

Slide Film Services - Precision Camera & Video, Austin, Texas

And Cosmo, B&H still sells E-6 chemicals: But you might find it cheaper to have them processed because you need different equipment for developing slides than b/w film or even color film.

Chemistry for Color Slide Film | B&H Photo Video
05-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hey, thanks photolady. That's not a bad price from them. They even do Kodachrome too. I thought the place in Kansas (Wayne's I think) was the only place in the US left that does Kodachrome. I'll have to give these folks a try.

05-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're welcome. Glad I could help. And please post back if they're any good. I have some slide film that needs taking up first but will be interested in how yours turns out.
05-19-2009, 06:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Richard's Photolab is supposed to be really good, however i'm not sure what the prices are
05-19-2009, 06:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Developing slides at home is not hard at all, just a few more solutions than BW and better temp control.

For me it was just a matter of volume/price, since a kit (I used the Tetenal ones in the past) made sense only for reatively large numbers of rolls.

You can chechk Freestyle for E-6 kits.
At $20/kit developing 3-4 rolls per kit will be cheaper than sending it out... and I believe the kit is good for ~16