Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
... I just purchased a Konica Minolta Dimage IV new on eBay.
Enjoy your scanner. I have used one for several years and love it. You want to watch out for excessive magenta though ... let the scanner warm up for a few minutes before use, then do a little PP afterwards.

05-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
Enjoy your scanner. I have used one for several years and love it. You want to watch out for excessive magenta though ... let the scanner warm up for a few minutes before use, then do a little PP afterwards.
Thanks for the advice.

I am using the Plustek 7500i currently. I am not using Silverfast Ai that comes with it as I do not like the interface,.... but I am using Vuescan instead.
I output a raw DNG and adjust WB/exposure in ACR.
Hopefully this is a work flow that I can keep with the Dual Scan.

Cheers,

Luc
05-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Hopefully this is a work flow that I can keep with the Dual Scan.
I didn't like the results I got from the scanner using Vuescan. Amazingly, the bundled software works brilliantly.

Sorry for the threadjack
06-07-2009, 04:46 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife regularly used old Walgreens Studio 35 400 film, made by Agfa. It was most likely Vista 400.
Like many C41 films it was far more tolerant of overexposure than under.
I suggest you try exposing at EI 320 (or even 200) for better results.

Chris

06-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
While the colors may not have a big pop to them, the skin tones look pretty natural to me. I kinda like the lower contrast, less saturated look you've got there for what appears to be a cloudy day.

'fooz
06-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree, very natural looking. FWIW Agfa Optima Prestige was a step up and even better. Try some if you can find it...

Chris
11-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #22
Forum Member

Blast from the past...

Has anyone used Vista recently? Since 12-exposure rolls are getting tougher to find I'm trying to stock up when I can, and I can get 5 rolls of Vista 400 (exp. Aug. 2014) for $2.70 apiece on eBay. Any thoughts? Thanks!

11-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It used to be a nice 400 speed film, specially shot at 320 or so for me.
I loved how it popped the REDS!
11-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member

We get it here in the UK in the Poundshop - same as the Dollarstore - for, you've guessed it, a Pound a roll. And it's good film, certainly for that price. I get it processed for another Pound at the Tescos supermarket and do my own scans. It's cheap and cheerful, press the shutter and wind it on!
11-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #25

Wow, which poundshops are you referring to, poundland? Also wasn't aware that tesco processed film so cheap either, i am guessing this is only at tesco extra supermarkets?
11-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Yes, Poundland usually has film in stock. It's 24 frame rolls usually but I have had 36's before now. They sometimes have Kodacolor, which is rubbish. The colours are just horrible, but the Agfa is a Fuji made film and very good.
The bigger Tescos, and Asda stores often have a mini lab machine. I get processing for 99 Pence, I think it's about £2-50 for process and scan to DVD or CD. The big problem is, the quality of the staff using the machine, so I now ask and make a point of insisting that someone trained in using the machine does my film. I went apeshi7 in there a while back when I saw some kid taking my film out of the machine and wrapping it around her her bare hand like you would a ribbon. The emulsion was still a bit soft so the film was scratched to hell and covered in fingerprints. The manager eventually admitted that the trained operators were not in that day so they'd just told this poor kid to it! So he had a bollokin as well! Now, I get my films treated properly.
There isn't much training needed, the better machines are remotely calibrated daily by the manufacturer, who can also monitor the chemicals etc, so the service is OK when the basics of film handling are followed.