Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax pz1p

Anyone know what the kit lens would have been for the pz1p? ALso, what would be a fair price for a body and kit lens in good shape?

05-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #2

PZ FA28-105 4.5-5.6 (Power Zoom)
05-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Funny that it just clicked to me that PZ stands for power zoom
05-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Mac!

There's a PZ1P w/ lens for sale locally for $50 - Good deal?

05-28-2009, 02:49 AM   #5

If your area still can develop film well and you like shoot film, it's a good price.

And the 28-105 is very workable with the digital body.

I still got 2 in my dry cabinet
05-28-2009, 02:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

$50 for a working PZ-1p and 28-105 power zoom, a good deal?!?! It's not a good deal.....

IT'S A FREAKING TERRIFIC DEAL!
06-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bubbabob Quote
Anyone know what the kit lens would have been for the pz1p? ALso, what would be a fair price for a body and kit lens in good shape?
Being the top of the line body in the 90's, I am not sure many people would have bought it in kit form. Why get the best body, but one of their cheaper zooms?

06-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Being the top of the line body in the 90's, I am not sure many people would have bought it in kit form. Why get the best body, but one of their cheaper zooms?
Well, sometimes the kit lens actually just comes free, or basically-free, and even if you don't think much of a kit zoom, well, you may as well have it as not, I suppose. I wouldn't have paid extra for it, but I ended up with a kit lens on my digital, which was a nice little bonus. Oftentimes an actual kit would be on sale when a body-only would not be, as well. I suspect, with the PZ's in particular, Pentax must have particularly wanted to get some power-zoom lenses out there in hopes people would get used to the feature and want more.
06-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

It's a great deal. This was a $1000 camera when new and still has many great features. It's very similar to the K10D in many ways. Just check the battery door as the baseplate was plastic and would crack around the door. Most of them still closed and worked fine but something to be aware of.
06-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, sometimes the kit lens actually just comes free, or basically-free, and even if you don't think much of a kit zoom, well, you may as well have it as not, I suppose. I wouldn't have paid extra for it, but I ended up with a kit lens on my digital, which was a nice little bonus. Oftentimes an actual kit would be on sale when a body-only would not be, as well. I suspect, with the PZ's in particular, Pentax must have particularly wanted to get some power-zoom lenses out there in hopes people would get used to the feature and want more.
Pentax kits in the 90's were not like a lot of the digital ones today. They weren't in a bigger box with a lens and called a "kit" on the outside. You may have seen a different "kit" lens from Adorama than you would have from B&H, but they were always more money and never even close to free. It was just something sold bundled. While the PZ1P retailed for close to $1000, I got it from B&H for $599 (may have even gotten a rebate on top of that but can't recall) and I opted to buy an FA prime instead of paying a good $109 more for a cheap 28-80 zoom. Adorama may have had the 28-105 with it's PZ1P for $139 more or something like that. I don't ever recall someone selling this body with a lens for only $10-$50 more like kit deals are now.

Also to look out for other than the battery door is the pop-up flash. The little springs can go inside, causing you to have to flip up the flash yourself. This would be a better sign than the battery door breaking, because that would entail someone having to bump it or place it down harder than it should. The little springs inside the flip up flash can just go on you.
06-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Pentax kits in the 90's were not like a lot of the digital ones today. They weren't in a bigger box with a lens and called a "kit" on the outside. You may have seen a different "kit" lens from Adorama than you would have from B&H, but they were always more money and never even close to free. It was just something sold bundled.
Actually, it was pretty rare all along for kits to come in the same box, all the way back to the 80s, (And a pain for retailers when they did. ) But the package price, particularly retail, could still often marked down when the body-only wasn't (A lot of these came with third-party brand lenses, mind you.) Anyway, I wasn't really in the market by the 90s, but it was that way in the 80s, and it was actually the case when I got my K20d kit.

So I'm not surprised there'd be some out there. I'd have gone for a prime or two myself, I think.
06-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks yall.

Went and picked it up. Found out some good and bad details when I got there. They good -

A couple never opened 58mm filters
The camera's manual
Small camera bag

Not expensive but a nice surprise that wasn't listed in the auction.

And the bad -

No battery or charger.

The camera is in near prefect condition. The battery door and flash work as they should. No scratches/blemishes anywhere on the camera. Very little dust on the inside.

Obviously since I don't have a battery I don't know if the camera functions as it should. I assume it does. Anyone want it (the body & manual)? Make me an offer...

If you get the camera and find it doesn't operate, Ill refund your money.
06-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

You're thinking digital here. These didn't come with batteries or chargers. It uses an Lithium battery 2cr5. I've owned a PZ-1 and also have a PZ-1p. They take the same battery. You can find rechargables and chargers to replace the lithium version if you want to but that depends on the use. These batteries last a lot longer than a digital battery would as there are a lot fewer things needing power in a film body.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 06-03-2009 at 05:59 PM.
06-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I'll be damned. How 'bout that. Ya'll are a life saver, you know that?

Picked up a lithium 2cr5 - Camera seems to operate 100%.