Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2009, 09:14 PM   #1

Problem with Program PLus body

Hello all,

I'm a newbie on this forum and am just getting back into photography after about 20 years of absence. I tried to search the archive for my problem but was unable to find anything so please excuse me if this topic has been covered before...

I have a Pentax Program Plus (body #1315083) which I've just unpacked from storage. I was about to load the film but discovered that the film winder will not move.

Apparently the winding mechanism is jammed or broken and I live many many miles from anyone who does camera repairs.

I have two possibilities. a) send the body in and have the winder repaired and b) upgrade to a DSLR body.

The questions I have for this forum are:
1. Where do you recommend I send the body for repair (I really like the quality I get from *real* film)...

2. If the recommendation is to upgrade to DSLR, what model camera body do you all recommend to go with my P/K-A lenses.

Finally, I need to be able to take some close up pictures of my wife's jewelry to put in her online store. Will the focal length of my 35-70mm lens be sufficient for that or should I investigate a close-up lens and which would you recommend.

Sorry for all the questions in my first post to the forum but I have nowhere else to turn in this small town in the middle of nowhere... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Cheers!!
Jim -

05-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You may have the same problem as described in this thread.
05-31-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
Forum Member

Hi Jim,

Please follow the link provided by SOldBear. You might have the same problem to what I had. I hope you'll have the solution quickly.

Regarding the jewellry pictures, I suggest you to go digital, as it will simplify the process and cut the turn around time. You can review immediately if the pictures you just've taken really satisfy your need or not (lighting can be tricky on jewellry shots), and digital is cheaper to operate in the long run.

A used Pentax camera (*istDL or *istDS) in good condition can be purchased less than $200 and you can use all your lenses you have with the Program Plus with the new digital camera.
06-01-2009, 12:12 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wxman Quote
Hello all,

Finally, I need to be able to take some close up pictures of my wife's jewelry to put in her online store. Will the focal length of my 35-70mm lens be sufficient for that or should I investigate a close-up lens and which would you recommend.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Cheers!!
Jim -

The simplest way out for this kind of thing is a "cheap" digicam with a reasonable "Macro" feature: this will cost far less than a "dedicated" macro lens (even if you already had a suitable SLR/DSLR to attach it to) and deliver the goods simply and effectively.

06-01-2009, 03:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another advantage of using a p&s digital camera for macro is you get a much greater depth of field, which is good for stuff like little jewels.