Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Film Speed Setting

Film neophyte here, Sorry.

My ES allows me set the Film speed. Is this a "reminder" setting, or does the camera need to know the ASA rating of the film. Does anyone ever purposely set the camera incorrectly?

Can anyone suggest a good period-appropriate auto thyristor for my ES? Something that takes AAs perhaps?

Thanks
~ Bernard

06-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

1) as the ES has a meter built in, the ASA is essential for it to compute correct exposure
2) I forget if ES has exposure compensation - if not, the ASA dial does that. Setting the ASA incorrectly is done for many reasons - you might note the ES consistently over or under exposes a certain film - so in your camera it is effectilvely a different speed film. Or, you've seen people talk of push or pull processing - setting the ASA extra high or extra low is the exposure side of this - usually done if self developing or paying the big $$ for a pro lab to do so.
3) I forget- first thing, is the shoe on the camera a hot shoe or not? If not, you'll need a flash that has a PC cord. In general the period-correct flashes aren't going to be as good as slightly later ones - the Pentax AF200T and AF280T are excellent classics, and usually available pretty cheap. I've also had good experience with Vivitars - I forget the model number, but I have a nice one with PC cord for use with the Spotmatics etc, it takes 2 AA's... and a 2800 which may still be made, though no sync cord on that.
06-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

For your entertainment, some period-appropriate ads:

On the right hand page there's some flashes listed, there is a legible size copy on flickr, click on the pic

06-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Any camera that has a built-in meter needs to know the ASA (ISO...same thing).

You might want to check the accuracy of the meter, as it could be off a bit after all these years. My slightly-newer ESII, for example, overexposes by about 1/3 stop. It is easy to determine if these is a problem, and the only testing equipment you need is a nice sunny day and your own two eyeballs. Set the aperture to f16, point the camera toward something receiving full sunlight, and take a look in the viewfinder at what shutter speed the camera is indicating. It should be roughly equal to the film speed you have in the camera and have set on the ASA (ISO) dial. If it is not, then adjust the dial one way or the other until the shutter speed does roughly match the film speed. Take a look at the dial and notice how much difference there is (if any) and remember it for future reference.

06-22-2009, 04:14 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That is some excelllent information and advice. Thank you Nesster and Mike!

~ Bernard.