Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Slide Projectors

Just wondering if any of you still use a slide projector to view your slides?

I know from previous forum threads that there are some slide shooters out there, who use a light table & lupe to view slides, but does anyone regularly use a screen & projector?

If so what type of projector and do you store your slides in trays?

I have a Kodak Carousel 4600 with a 102/2.8 FF (for newer plastic mounts) and
a 102/2.8 CF lens (for older cardboard mounts). I store all my slides in Kodak Carousel slide trays. (Both 140 & 80)

I also still put on slide shows for family & friends that I trap!

06-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Kodachromes get a ride in the Carousel regularly.
The screen is a PITA though, so I use a white wall...

Chris
06-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
My Kodachromes get a ride in the Carousel regularly.
The screen is a PITA though, so I use a white wall...

Chris
What he said

Steve
06-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I haven't shot slides lately, but I still project and show some of my older ones. I also like to collect old slides on ebay and view them on screen. I have a Kodak carousel (don't know the model offhand) and tons of carousel trays. I always get the trays with the plastic top covers, as I sometimes keep them filled for years and don't want the slides to get dusty.

There's something I just love about that click forward sound of a slide projector.

06-22-2009, 01:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still sometimes project slides on the wall. And I do this with a Leitz Pradovit R150, a lovely little thing when it works (usually doesn't work very well). Since getting a scanner I don't put slides in cartages any more but I still have the old ones framed and ready to use with the projector.

I think it's something special with viewing slides large scale on a wall, same thing with a digital projector. Always fun to look at pictures large scale.
06-22-2009, 03:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have an old Liesegang projector that my father bought me for my 21st birthday, long ago. I used to put on regular slide shows for my friends, who enjoyed the retro novelty. Haven't done so lately, although I did recently pick up a Reflecta screen attachment that fits to the front of the projector, so who knows? I store my slides in ring binders. That way I can view them on the old Nobo.
06-26-2009, 07:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for responding, it’s nice that there are other projector users out there.
I agree about the screen being a hassle to lug around, I have to maneuver mine down a flight of stairs each time I use it. It would be nice to have a room where you could permanently mount it. I have no white walls so I’m forced to use it.

I guess with the demise of Kodachrome earlier this week, we will now be looking through our old slides with even more nostalgia.

06-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

My 760H and 5400 (similar but different generations - basically most features including autofocus, but not remote focus, which turned out to be something that would have been useful back in the day) both literally fell apart, and not from heavy use either. So they aren't usable.

A suggestion I have for the lenses is to stop them down a little by inserting a little "donut" into the back of the lens. It seems to improve the resolution and especially the focus situation (you don't have to focus as precisely, and all the slide is more likely to be in focus.)

Paul