Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is the LX hopeless!!!!

I just picked up a mint LX and winder after looking for a long time.....it was apparently mint...but turned up with a bad case of sticky mirror. If I send it back I'm worried since the ebay retailer I bought it from will allow returns but not the shipping which may for me would be $100 for a bad experience. It is mint and at first I thought screw it......but it is really nice to look through with a few of my lenses. I would love to keep it....except for the mirror issue makes it unusable and I think it might cause an infinity focus issue. Is it possible to fix this for a reasonable price?.....or are all LXs doomed and should be avoided?

06-20-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If you're gonna lose $100 to send it back, you're better off sending it to Eric for repair:

Pentax repair

It'll cost about that much with shipping.
06-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I sent a couple of LX with sticky mirror to Eric for a complete CLA and I paid $400 for the two including shipping back to Canada. I am awaiting them back with a lot of anticipation.

Cheers,

Luc
06-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! The LX is really a great camera.....the price should have been in mint shape....but I'll make it work.

06-21-2009, 01:13 AM   #5

Did the seller disclose the sticky mirror issue?
If he/she didn't, try to get the full refund including shipping by starting a dispute.
I have done that before. Most time though, we agreed on part refund.
06-21-2009, 02:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try tellng the seller the camera was not mint, and that a part of the money should be refunded to pay for the reapir.
Ask for 1/2 of the repair price and see if you can get some back

Some people are reasonable.... most are not
06-21-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

All LXs need a CLA at some stage. If it didn't have the sticky mirror when you bought it, it soon would have. So pay for the repair and enjoy the camera for the rest of your life.

06-21-2009, 06:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the camera otherwise meets your expectations, contact the seller and explain the situation and suggest he/she reimburse you for the repair.
06-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buying a Pentax LX is not for the fainthearted, or the bargain hunter.

By now any LX used or never used will likely need service for the sticky mirror syndrome.
The cost to perform this service should be calculated into your projected total cost of acquisition.

Considerably more involved than the typical Pentax CLA, IIRC Eric charges about $200 to overhaul an LX.
In return your LX will arrive ready for many years of reliable service. IMO that's a real bargain.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-21-2009 at 09:28 AM.
06-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Buying a Pentax LX is not for the fainthearted, or the bargain hunter.

By now any LX used or never used will likely need service for the sticky mirror syndrome.
The cost to perform this service should be calculated into your projected total cost of acquisition.

Considerably more involved than the typical Pentax CLA, IIRC Eric charges about $200 to overhaul an LX.
In return your LX will arrive ready for many years of reliable service. IMO that's a real bargain.

Chris
I got mine back from Eric a couple of weeks ago and it cost around $200 including an extra part. I got one that was beat up but functional and had Eric make it pur -- I got off a lot cheaper that way. If you're going to lose $ and not have a camera, as mentioned above, try to negotiate with the seller. Failing that, just get it fixed.

Last edited by geauxpez; 06-22-2009 at 12:21 AM. Reason: updated facts. (c:
06-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eSFotos Quote
Did the seller disclose the sticky mirror issue?
If he/she didn't, try to get the full refund including shipping by starting a dispute.
I have done that before. Most time though, we agreed on part refund.
I totally agree. If you paid top dollar, or at least a very high price in anticipation of a "mint" camera", then I would demand a partial refund if not the full amount including shipping. If you paid via paypal this process will be simple to do. Hopefully you also paid by credit card. I actually like Titrisol's response best. Tell the seller why you want a partial refund; to cover the cost of the sticky mirror. Mention that if you had known about that ahead of time that would have affected your bidding. Seems only fair that a compromise should be made with the seller paying for at least some of it. If not that there is always the paypal claim dispute route. Sellers choice.

Last edited by scimitar12; 06-21-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Added content.
06-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Again, any LX used or never used will likely need service for the sticky mirror syndrome.
Assume any LX you buy will require this service and anticipate adding it to your total cost.

Did you ask, and did seller tell you camera was thoroughly tested and functions 100% as new?
If so, you may have a case. Otherwise "mint" describes cosmetic condition only.

Chris
06-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I want to add my vote to the crowd that suggests contacting the seller with a request for a partial refund to help cover the cost of the repair. Many sellers are amenable to this kind of solution since it preserves their feedback score. In addition, most people (including eBay sellers) received a decent upbringing and really want people to have gotten their money's worth.

I also want to throw in my support for ChrisPlatt's comments. The description may indicate 100% functionality; but unless they claim a recent CLA, you should expect additional expense to at least replace the light seals and mirror bumper. Most used cameras also require some cleanup of the mirror and focus screen. The additional expense for a routine service (minimum ~$50) should always be considered when determining your maximum bid on a film body.

Steve

(Have yet to buy a used camera that did not require some work to be usable...)
06-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I agree it'd be worth the repair, maybe the seller will kick some back to you to defray the cost, but especially if the cosmetics are important to you, going with the known quantity and having it tuned up right would give you something really nice.

I, personally, don't mind a little 'character' on a camera, myself, and I think that model wears it well, though.
06-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The LX is NOT a hopeless camera.

But anyone who buys one should expect it will need a CLA to fix the sticky mirror issue.

I got my LX off ebay about a year ago, it worked well for about 2-3 months, then it developed sticky mirror, as well as focus issues.

I sent it for a CLA and repair to Eric and for about $210.00 he replaced the focus screen, adjusted the shutter, and meter, replaced the shutter bumper, replaced the mirror bumper, and lubed the camera. He also cleaned the camera such that it was SPOTLESS. I would recomend his service to anyone.

The LX is a really special camera. It is a joy to use, and it is a beautifull piece of machinery. It is the only Pentax that has the titanium "ping" sound to the shutter. Of the cameras in my collection, it is the last one I would want to part with.

I admit when I bought my LX, I expected it would be usable without the CLA. After spending a pile of cash to buy it, I was not happy to spend more to CLA it. But it was so worthwhile to have the work done. Sure it cost me far more then I needed to spend just to shoot film. But to me, it is an important part of Pentax history and I am lucky to have one that I can use.