Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Where to get film?

Hello,

As much as we love film, truth is it is getting harder to find. I can't get any around here. Only Walgreens brand 200.
Any recommended online shop to get film without the need to purchase a whole case? I like generally 100 ISO or lower negative film like Ektar 100, Kodak Gold etc.

Thanks,

06-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

B&H and Freestyle, probably the best prices anywhere in the world
06-29-2009, 01:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Film

I usually order from B&H or Adorama. Both have excellent prices and a decent selection.
06-29-2009, 02:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I found Ektar 100 locally last week...and it was $3.50 mor PER ROLL than B&H! I will be placing an order soon.

06-29-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I get mine from B&H, mainly due to no sales tax plus regular shipping gets it to me (12 miles away) in one day.

eBay is a good source as well, mainly for expired lots, which are entirely usable and tend to be cheap.

I'm also fortunate to have a regular monthly camera show nearby, where sometimes I can pick up film at $1 a pop...
06-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After driving by it for years I finally stopped at the Rite-Aid (chain pharmacy) store near work. I went straight to the "Photo" Department.
What had once been the minilab was still there, surrounded by counters, but with a big empty area in the middle where the machine must have been.
They had various memory cards and photo albums etc. but not a single roll of film was available for sale. I didn't even see a disposable!
Apparently even the poor folks who live in The Projects near my job have gone digital for their photography needs.

The Walgreens brand film is probably Fuji Superia. My local Walgreens has 100, 200 and 400. They also stock some Kodak films.
For serious enthusiast films mail order is the way to go. Freestyle has a nice selection and inexpensive shipping rates.

Chris
06-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #7

Ebay - I look for film that still has a few months left on it and then put it in the freezer when it comes.

B&H - 'gray market' film they sell is usually cheaper than from the US distributor and their shipping is reasonable.

I actually like Fuji Superia and there is still plenty of it out there.

06-29-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ISO 100 speed film has disappeared from retail stores' shelves. They no longer stock it and usually now only have 200 (garbage IMO) through 800 speed film. The normal consumer never realized that ISO 100 is the best choice for most outdoor shoots, and therefore, it didn't sell as well as ISO 400. I'm still flabbergasted at how ISO 200 outlived 100 on store shelves. For the life of me, I can barely recall any good films that were ISO 200. I think an AGFA slide film back in the day is about all I can recall, and maybe a Kodak print film from the 90's. Professional film giants would focus on 100 and 400.
06-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

That sucks!! There are a few places here in town that sell professional film...including a drug store chain (albiet they also sell everything). We are down to one place that sells and develops 120 medium format. They keep all of their better film in a fridge and offer it at a discount once it comes up to the expire date. Since it's been sitting in the fridge...it's fine. It might cost a buck or two more than buying in bulk from ebay....but they won't be around if I don't support them and it is nice to be able to pick up some better film without having to wait for it in the mail.

If there is someone reading this that runs a camera shop....put some 120 and pro 35mm in the freezer at work and offer it for sale. It'll draw others to your shop and perhaps spawn some other sales?
06-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like Adorama, as I just ordered 5 rollls of Fuji ASA100 for 1.99 per roll with only $5 shipping. I couldn't get that here from B&H at that price including shipping.
06-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Lucky Yanks. Being up in the Great White North, I cannot order from B&H or Adorama, where film seems to be somewhat reasonably priced and can be purchased in bulk. The only local option for me to get my hands on anything but Kodak Gold or *shudder* Fuji Superia films is Lens & Shutter cameras in Victoria. Try this on for size:

Kodak Ektar 100: $7.99 per roll
Kodak Portra 160/400 variants: $9.99 per roll
Fuji Superia Reala 100: $9.99 per roll
Kodak Ektachrome 100G: $10.99 per roll

And no volume discount to boot. Yeah, sucks to be a Canadian film shooter.