Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Asahi MV

What's up everyone, I'm new to the forums. I'd like to know who else uses a Pentax Asahi MV? I want to know how to use a non Pentax flash with it (I have an Excel 1). Also, is there a fish-eye lens I can get for it? Thanks in advance!

06-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glaciersofice Quote
What's up everyone, I'm new to the forums. I'd like to know who else uses a Pentax Asahi MV? I want to know how to use a non Pentax flash with it (I have an Excel 1). Also, is there a fish-eye lens I can get for it? Thanks in advance!
These should not present any big problems, though I'll have to go look up your flash unit to be sure. From your phrasing, I'm guessing you're fairly new to photography in general (Maybe just Pentax) ?

This might get moved on over to the Film Cameras board, so you know. And we might want to ask if it's really a fisheye you want, or just a wide angle, perhaps. They're certainly available. Kind of tend to be costly, fisheyes, though, those being a bit exotic. There's some cheaper ways to have most of the same fun, though.

Oh, but in the meantime, my impression is that the cheapest proper fisheye you can have is the Russian-made Zenitar, 16mm, if I recall correctly. People seem to like those, and I think they only run a few hundred bucks.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-30-2009 at 01:14 PM.
06-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #3

Hello! Welcome.
My wife used an MV a long time ago. We still own the cam, but we don't use it anymore.
It is so old that the black plastic foam (in the mirror chamber) has started decomposing (be aware of that!)
Any flash with a hotshoe should work.
But the cam will not meter anything. You must set the flash, for proper exposure.
06-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, ... actually there are a couple of MV users around here. MV's are less popular among those still shooting film because the ME Super is about as cheap as you can ask for, has a lovely finder, and allows manual exposure control. The MV *does* meter, but apparently doesn't tell you what it's doing, just sets the appropriate shutter speed for the aperture selected on the lens. You just have to trust it and have an idea what aperture will be in the camera's range and give you a handholdable speed.

Here's some info on the camera: Pentax MV - Camerapedia.org

(That mirror bumper can be replaced, if it's bad, as well as the film door seals, not a bad job if you're OK with your hands: it's a common enough bit of maintenance for an old camera. )

Sorry if any of this info is redundant for you. If your flash is from the same era and is either Pentax dedicated or not dedicated at all, it should work just fine.

06-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
These should not present any big problems, though I'll have to go look up your flash unit to be sure. From your phrasing, I'm guessing you're fairly new to photography in general (Maybe just Pentax) ?
yes I am new to photography in general, and I hope to learn more and get a better film camera in the future. I will definitely check out that lens on ebay (hopefully there's some up for sale). Is there a link you can direct me to that can help me learn about aperture, the flash, etc. As far as which one I'd like (either fish-eye or wide angle), I'd have to check out some pictures and make a comparison. Thanks so much for the help.
10-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #6

re:your MV camera

I have an MV camera, and 3 various lenses, and a flash, and no longer use them. Should you want them i can be reached at my email address. you can have every thing for $100.00