Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Spotmatic Value Question

Hi everyone!

Can you Spotmatic experts give me a rough idea of what a pristine Spotmatic is worth?

My sister in law is in to estate sales and is sending me one.

Thanks.

Bob

06-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not to be a smartass, but judging from what I have seen the past few months -- anywhere from $25 to about $450.00. Which Spotmatic is it? Silver or black? more detailed description of the condition? Recently CLA'd? Never opened or touched since it left the factory (saw one like that sell recently)? With or without lenses and if with, which ones? Lens condition?
06-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
All good questions!

My sister in law does estate sales and is shipping it out to me tomorrow.

As soon as I get it I will answer all the questions you posed. Thanks for your input!

Bob
07-01-2009, 04:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well....there's cosmetically pristine....and there's mechanically sound. And there is no reliable correlation one can infer between the two.

07-01-2009, 04:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are 11 models and we would need more details.

Check out this table for a list of all the models and differences:
Die Cast Pro - Spotmatic Family Traits
07-01-2009, 05:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Estate sale say you... that means it'll need a CLA (in 99.9% of cases)
That will cost you about $100

Another question... Whant lenses are coming (if any) with the camera?
07-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
As soon as I get the camera and lens(s), and TC, I will post the exact description and my estimate of condition for your input.

Bob

07-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Finally got the camera in my hands. It definitely looks like it will need a CLA. Thanks to Rayallen for the earlier link to the Spotmatic family info.

From that data, the camera is an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP-chrome and black. The serial # is 4102650. The lens that was on it is a smc Tak 28mm f/3.5 which does not have any visible dust and has a solid feel on the aperture ring and a very smooth focus ring. One other thing though is the mirror looks like it is worn partially (has a black spot although it is not scratched or pitted (?).

Is this a collectible version? Would it be worth having a CLA done and keeping it?

Thanks for your help.

Bob
07-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rmpjr7 Quote
Finally got the camera in my hands. It definitely looks like it will need a CLA. Thanks to Rayallen for the earlier link to the Spotmatic family info.

From that data, the camera is an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP-chrome and black. The serial # is 4102650. The lens that was on it is a smc Tak 28mm f/3.5 which does not have any visible dust and has a solid feel on the aperture ring and a very smooth focus ring. One other thing though is the mirror looks like it is worn partially (has a black spot although it is not scratched or pitted (?).

Is this a collectible version? Would it be worth having a CLA done and keeping it?
Bob
CLA the camera body only if you intend keeping & using it. Otherwise, the CLA will cost you more than you can sell it for. As for the lens, if it has no issues (glass scratches, haze, fungus, cleaning marks, focusing issues, blade oil, etc.), get yourself a Genuine Pentax M42 adapter on Ebay & use it on your DSLR, if you don't mind stopped down manual operation..... it's a superb lens optically & operationally, & a joy to use.
07-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
Pentaxian

IMHO is a great camera, not specially rare nor collectible
The lens may command more money on ebay than the camera itself even without CLA.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rmpjr7 Quote

Thanks for your help.

Bob
07-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all your advice and comments.

Bob