Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Film rewind problem

Hello everyone!

Yesterday I got my ME Super and I immediately put a roll of film in it, in order to test it. Everything looked perfect... until the end, when I couldn't wind back the film. I'm following precisely the steps in the manual (depress the rewind button, then turn the crank as indicated), but there's no tension at all in the crank, like there is no film at all in the camera.

Do you guys and girls have an idea how could I fix the problem?

Thanks a lot,
Alex.

07-11-2009, 05:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First - when you loaded the film, are you sure it fed through? The rewind crank will rotate as you wind the film between shots, when the film's advancing. Also, when you started to rewind, was there a tiny bit of resistance first, and then none? This would also mean not much film was out of the canister.

Second - when you use the rewind crank, you are leaving it down so it engages the film canister? (of course, lifting it would open the back, but I have to check )

Third - when you reached the end of the roll, did you not notice and kept winding... which might break the film.

I've done all three in one way or another. The first is the most likely - wind the leader till you see the film sprokets engage the film... and in the beginning, waste a bit, wind once more to make sure the film's being taken into the take up spool.
07-11-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey there Nesster, thanks for your help!

First - when I loaded the film, everything seemed ok. Although I didn't pay attention whether the crank rotates or not, the counter went on as if everything was perfect. Yet when I started to rewind, there was no resistance at all - neither at first turn or afterwards.

Second - yes, I leave the crank down when rewinding clockwise, just as the user manual says.

Third - well, i kept my eye on the counter and tried to rewind precisely after the 36th shot. It's hard to believe the film broke - there was no sound, no shake - nothing that could suggest this.

Finally - there must be something I did wrong and wasn't even aware of it. I understand it is rather unusual for the ME Supers to encounter this kind of problems.

Just as I told to the seller few minutes ago (wow! he's really supportive), I think I'll go the tough way - go into a dark room, open the camera's film door, and see if the crank engages / rewinds the film. If there is any obvious problem, I'll try to fix it, then close the door and rewind the usual way. If not, I'll sacrifice the film roll, put another one in, and see if everything's fine in the end.

I'm soooo sorry about this, because the ME Super is just the perfect camera. I felt in love with it the second I opened the box and took it into my hands )

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
First - when you loaded the film, are you sure it fed through? The rewind crank will rotate as you wind the film between shots, when the film's advancing. Also, when you started to rewind, was there a tiny bit of resistance first, and then none? This would also mean not much film was out of the canister.

Second - when you use the rewind crank, you are leaving it down so it engages the film canister? (of course, lifting it would open the back, but I have to check )

Third - when you reached the end of the roll, did you not notice and kept winding... which might break the film.

I've done all three in one way or another. The first is the most likely - wind the leader till you see the film sprokets engage the film... and in the beginning, waste a bit, wind once more to make sure the film's being taken into the take up spool.
07-11-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
update: i opened the film door in almost complete dark and the film was completely rewind. i just don't understand. i never felt any tension in the crank, nor the film rewind indicator flickered. how / when could that happen? so... problem solved by itself, i guess. sorry if i sounded idiotic.

07-11-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Sounds like your film didn't engage when it was loaded...the tab on the right hand spool didn't catch enough and the film never advanced. The film counter doesn't count frames of film, but rather how many times the advance lever was used regardless of the presence or lack of film.

Next step -- process the roll just to be sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by MeFirstO Quote
update: i opened the film door in almost complete dark and the film was completely rewind. i just don't understand. i never felt any tension in the crank, nor the film rewind indicator flickered. how / when could that happen? so... problem solved by itself, i guess. sorry if i sounded idiotic.
07-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well that was my first thought too, but i closed the door only after i was sure the spool engaged the film. however, when i opened the door, there was not a single milimeter of film out of the canister, so it must have been winded at some time. of course, the best answer will come when i'll have the film developed.

thanks a lot and sorry if i wasted your time.
07-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

u should have the roll tested to see if it was actually developed. save a few bucks
the first time i used the ME Super, i did not stick the film into those what plastic things properly and the film never took up.

make sure before closing the back, to advance a few frames to make sure the take up is ok, and as you advance, check the little window with the red lines flickers when you advance the film.

07-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

well that was my first thought too, but i closed the door only after i was sure the spool engaged the film.

however, when i opened the door, there was not a single milimeter of film out of the canister, so it must have been winded at some time.

thanks a lot and sorry if i wasted your time.
First, this isn't a waste of time, this is the crux of the mystery of film shooting

The reason no film was left out was that you did rewind successfully - but only the couple of inches you'd pulled out to begin with. This is probably why you didn't feel a big difference in resistance - when you're reeling the film from the take up spool, you feel more resistance and probably hear noises too.

I've done this so many times, but learned to recognize when I do... wind the film till both top and bottom sprockets are engaged at which point the film leader probably has gone nearly all the way around the take up spool. Then close the back. Then, look at the telltale red lines and the rewind crank as you wind to the next frames. If they don't move, open the back and start again.

Don't worry, it's only film.
07-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well nesster, that must be the best explanation. however, i'll found out what happened only on monday or thursday, 'coz the lab is closed during the weekend. and you're right... it's only film!
07-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It happens to all of us, no matter how experienced
The little round window n the MESuper is great, after you load the film, while you are winding the 1st frames (00 and 0) make sure it rotates/flicker. That si an indicator that you have loaded the film correctl;y
Otherwise, it may just be that you need to get used to rewinding. Sometimes is good to listen to the sound of film rewinding
07-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
It happens to all of us, no matter how experienced
The little round window n the MESuper is great, after you load the film, while you are winding the 1st frames (00 and 0) make sure it rotates/flicker. That si an indicator that you have loaded the film correctl;y
Otherwise, it may just be that you need to get used to rewinding. Sometimes is good to listen to the sound of film rewinding
yeah, i figured it now =)) thanks!
07-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #12

Look at the positive side. You have a brand new roll of film!
07-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When engaging the film on the takeup spool, I always leave the rewind crank unfolded. Easier to tell if the film has slipped off the spool as the rotation, or lack of it, is immediately obvious. Like most, I learned this the hard way. Every shot was going to be a winner.

Last edited by pixelsaurus; 07-13-2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelng mistak
07-14-2009, 12:49 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruiser Quote
Look at the positive side. You have a brand new roll of film!
sure i am, but how could i pull outside the end of it? it's all inside now i guess i'll ask the lab guy pull it out with that neat little tool he has.

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
When engaging the film on the takeup spool, I always leave the rewind crank unfolded. Easier to tell if the film has slipped off the spool as the rotation, or lack of it, is immediately obvious. Like most, I learned this the hard way. Every shot was going to be a winner.
lol... it seems i learned it the medium-hard way. i didn't lose any significant shots, i've only lost some self respect.

thank you for your support, guys!
07-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

lol... it seems i learned it the medium-hard way. i didn't lose any significant shots, i've only lost some self respect.
Same way I learned on my dad's AE1 a couple of decades ago. Welcome to the club.