Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

LBA/CBA Alert!

Picked up a Pentax MX and a Pentax-M 28mm f/3.5 today for $80 total, shipped. Both look very clean w/ some minor brassing. I can't wait!

07-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both those items, and like them a lot - I am sure you'll be pleased. Oddly I've not enjoyed the M 28/3.5 nearly as much on digital as I did on film... the MX is great all around. I've been on a Super Program kick recently but may have to go back to the MX.

Oh and then today I bought (why do I even go in there?) a Spotmatic F and a PZ-70. I was hoping the FA 28-80 zoom on the PZ had a good reputation (no) but have been pleased with the camera itself so far. If only it had DOF preview! Why they made these fancy machines without that basic feature is beyond me. The Spottie, on the other hand, looks like it kicks major butt, or will after a little TLC.

Just doing our part for the economy, right?
07-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've been using my Super Program lately as well. What a camera!
07-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

And then today off Craigslist I got an *ist! Which unfortunately has the balky shutter button problem, and I couldn't test it there as batteries were dead. She said I could take it back if it didn't work, but I like the lens on it - an F 50 1.7. I got the whole shebang at a good price for the lens, but still I was getting excited about the ist/da40 mini-combo. Somehow the ist/da40/cable release isn't quite as great...

07-24-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hehe. I've bought way too much already this month, but I still find myself trawling craigslist and ebay at 1am. Hoo boy have I got it bad.
07-25-2009, 05:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Picked up a Pentax MX and a Pentax-M 28mm f/3.5 today for $80 total, shipped. Both look very clean w/ some minor brassing. I can't wait!
I've got these two pieces also. Very compact, sharp duo. I actually bought the 28, along with a 50mm f:1.7 M & a 135mm f:3.5 M, as a walkaroud prime trio setup with my *ist DS..... about as compact as you can get with a DSLR & a compliment of basic primes. I carry the camera with one of the lenses on the usual carrying strap, with the two additional lenses in separate pouches attached to my belt.
07-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I have both those items, and like them a lot - I am sure you'll be pleased. Oddly I've not enjoyed the M 28/3.5 nearly as much on digital as I did on film...
I have the same experience as well with the Tak 28 and K100d / ME Super. 28mm is just soooo much more interesting in Film.

Anyone here that uses 28mm as their main squeeze and want to defend that focal length?

07-27-2009, 06:52 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I have the same experience as well with the Tak 28 and K100d / ME Super. 28mm is just soooo much more interesting in Film.

Anyone here that uses 28mm as their main squeeze and want to defend that focal length?
I have got to echo the 28mm blues. I loved my Tammy 28/2.5 with my Ricoh XR7. What a great, light combo and was looking forward to using the lens on the K10D. Well, I have had the K10D for 2 1/2 years now and have yet to get a good photo when paired with the 28. The focal length just seems "clumsy" on APS-C.

Steve
07-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I had the same frustrations until I finally decided to do something about it. I picked up an *ist Ds body, not wanting to risk damaging a more expensive model if things didn't work out as planned. Then I took a chisel & ball preen hammer & carefully chipped away at the sensor until it was full frame size. After rounding off the rough edges with fine sandpaper, I put the camera back together. Now I can use my old lenses to full advantage, & it only took a couple of hours of my spare time. I should have done this years ago.
P.S. - If you're going to try this yourself, measure out the full frame dimensions carefully beforehand, for if you take out too much, you'll have to start adding material..... could become a little untidy.
07-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Huh? How is chipping away to full frame size possible when the sensor is smaller than full frame to begin with? o-O;
07-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe by 'sensor' he meant 'lens' and by 'full frame size' he meant "18.7mm" - ie, I think he was confused and was actually chipping away at the lens to make it behave like a 28 on a crop sensor...

Although, if you took 4 crop cams, separated out their electrics, and glued the sensors together, you could easily make a full frame camera I'd stick it in the back of some 6x7 press camera, and hook it all into a windmill. Still come out cheaper than a full frame N/C...

--

I like to use the 28 on a crop digital - it translates to the 35mm 'ideal length' - it's like the 43 is on a film camera.
07-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Huh? How is chipping away to full frame size possible when the sensor is smaller than full frame to begin with? o-O;
It didn't seem to me to make sense either as I was chipping away at it, but somehow it worked out perfectly. The original instructions for the conversion was obtained at a site titled "Natural Law Contrarian Projects".
07-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Oookay, I'm just officially lost now
07-30-2009, 06:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
I had the same frustrations until I finally decided to do something about it. I picked up an *ist Ds body, not wanting to risk damaging a more expensive model if things didn't work out as planned. Then I took a chisel & ball preen hammer & carefully chipped away at the sensor until it was full frame size. After rounding off the rough edges with fine sandpaper, I put the camera back together. Now I can use my old lenses to full advantage, & it only took a couple of hours of my spare time. I should have done this years ago.
Good one

I've got a FF, but would like Medium Format, could you do that as well :-?