Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
if an authority like Modern says so, openly, in a camera review... it has to be true. I think Pentax made the deal in an effort to make the K the new universal mount. Modern specifically said Pentax made the lenses.
Considering Keppler was with Modern at the time, it definitely gives it a lot of credibility regarding Pentax.

07-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Awww, you all are trying to goad me into posting the review of xr-2 and the set of lenses...

All I can say is that I believe both Pentax and Ricoh validated what Modern wrote: the first series of Rikenon XRs are the same optics as SMC K series Pentax lenses, are manufactured by Pentax, and have less surfaces multi coated than the equivalent Pentax lens.

Remember also that Pentax had just discontinued the SMC K in favor of SMC-M, and probably had the tooling and components left over.

Who made all successive Rikenons is another matter, I doubt it was Pentax for very long.
I think that the review in question used to be posted at Popphoto.com as part of their Modern Photography archives. I happened upon it this last December, but could not find it when I looked for it several weeks ago. Please post it on a new thread if you have it. It would be a service to Ricoh fans everywhere and would help put a factual basis to the questions about a Pentax/Ricoh connection.

"Sharing" lens models was not unusual at the time, just as it is not unusual today (e.g. the Pentax/Tamron/Tokina "Axis of Excellence"). While it would not surprise me to find that certain Ricoh lenses have Pentax innards, I don't know if it is valid to say that the XR Rikenons are the same as the inferior K-mount Takumars or that they represent a repurposing of Pentax-K tooling. Interestingly, if the latter is true, then the XR Rikenons would represent the last vestiges of the Super-Takumar line...

Steve
07-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Considering Keppler was with Modern at the time, it definitely gives it a lot of credibility regarding Pentax.
That was my thinking. With any luck, Nesster will post a pdf or image.

Steve
07-19-2009, 05:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Don’t discount the K series bodies, like the K2 & KX. There aren’t that big and are very reliable. They also don’t have “known” issues like some other series bodies, example the LX and the sticky mirror.
The sticky mirror is easily resolved (forever) with a CLA. Since all old cameras need a CLA anyway at some point, I wouldn't let the sticky mirror put you off the LX for an instant. We're talking about one of THE great cameras here.

07-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I almost sold my KX, but playing with it makes me think again.....
07-25-2009, 10:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

titrisol - I hear you! I get something out to make sure it works, and to make photos for sale. Haven't used it in ages. But hey, it is pretty cool! Next thing I know - back into the collection.