Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ektar 100 Panoramic heresy!

I know that many people that shoot film advocate a "this is set in stone" policy that I don't share. So I prepared a panoramic from three scanned shots taken with Ektar 100, Pentax LX with FA 31mm, tripod. As outlined in the Ektar thread earlier this week, I have also found that color and contrast where so very much affected by small changes in the scan setup so much so that an "off the camera" result is moot anyway.

In retrospect, the 31mm is probably too wide for panoramic stitching and flatter horizon might be achieved with the 43mm

Cheers,

Luc

Last edited by lbenac; 07-18-2009 at 11:15 AM.
07-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote

In retrospect, the 31mm in certain is probably too wide for panoramic stitching and flater horizon might be achieve with the 43mm
I would agree. I don't do a lot of panos, but I have generally gotten better results with a "normal" FOV and more shots.

Steve
07-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/61707-sale-hass...an-camera.html
07-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
In retrospect, the 31mm is probably too wide for panoramic stitching and flatter horizon might be achieved with the 43mm
I wouldn't blame the wide lens for the curved horizon.

What projection are you using for the pano? The horizon on a non-rectilinear projection won't be flat unless it bisects the image
(and rectilinear projections don't work for extremely wide panos in any case; adding a source image pitch adjustment can help, though).

BTW, that's a nice spot -- Saltspring Island?

07-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by troyz Quote
I wouldn't blame the wide lens for the curved horizon.

What projection are you using for the pano? The horizon on a non-rectilinear projection won't be flat unless it bisects the image
(and rectilinear projections don't work for extremely wide panos in any case; adding a source image pitch adjustment can help, though).

BTW, that's a nice spot -- Saltspring Island?
Hello,

I am using rectilinear in PTgui with some pitch already.
This was taken from Soames Hill in Gibsons - Sunshine Coast. I was hoping to wait for the sun to go down some more but the tricky way down and the risk of loosing ourselves on the way back (which we did slightly) made me change my mind.

Cheers,

Luc