Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #1

spotmatic

i have been shooting on my spotmatics for a while now and i have a little bit of spare cash and was wondering if it would be worth it to switch to a more modern camera if so any suggestions

07-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Depends on what you have in mind - how modern are you talking about? Auto exposure, Program, Auto Focus? Do you want to stay Pentax, or do you want to stay M42? In screw mount the most advanced cameras would be ES-II from Pentax, and the Memotrons from Chinon - I don't have a Memotron but it sure sounds interesting.

Meanwhile, with a spottie, you already have a fine, well working manual exposure camera. You won't get any better photos with a more modern camera, mainly you'd get convenience, possibly smaller size, and a whole new area to covet and buy lenses for

Is there a Takumar you don't have but could use? That may be a photographically more significant buy.
07-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Is there a Takumar you don't have but could use? That may be a photographically more significant buy.
ill echo this.
07-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
yea i gusse ill stick with my spotmatic untill i go digital but i dont see myself doing that anytime soon

07-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Unless you are looking for automatic metering modes or autofocusing capability, you won't find a more capable camera than a Spotmatic, & you'll be giving up the full functioning capabilities of those great Takumars. Instead, as mentioned by others above, put the money into more Takumars. As all Pentax SLRs are backwards compatible, you'll be able to use them (with minor limitations) in the future on whatever "more modern" film or digital body you decide to purchase down the road.
07-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zac1121 Quote
yea i gusse ill stick with my spotmatic untill i go digital but i dont see myself doing that anytime soon
Would you believe there are digital users trying to put aside a little spare cash toward purchasing a Spotmatic?
07-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bessaflex!!!

Or a newer pentax

07-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #8

Stick to the Spotmatic and spend the money in new Super-Multicoated Takumars or Super-Takumars. You are on to something good with the Spotmatic and the M42 Takumars.
07-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Would you believe there are digital users trying to put aside a little spare cash toward purchasing a Spotmatic?
I did. I was one of those.