Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Question for Current or Former film shooting pro's

What was the highest ISO you would use for a particular job?

I am aware that you might want to use a super high speed film for a particular look, or for some special situation, you can average that into your answer.

The information I want is: During your usual shoots on film, what is the highest speed film you would bring/use?

Thanks!

p.s. I want to compare the results to the high iso performance of today's cameras. I shoot dark wedding receptions at iso320 with a light on the camera and a wireless light doing magic elsewhere. 320.

You wont really catch me going up to iso twozillion and a half.

07-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Damn I can't post a poll right...oh well you can still answer i guess...
07-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd rarely push hard unless there was no other way to get the shot. Usually I'd confine it to like 800 if I were shooting Tri-X: if I had to go to a pro lab, that'd be about as much as I'd let someone else do, and it'd get done faster. If I was doing the processing, 1600 was no big deal.

Where I got paid was mostly for like weddings, (Pretty much used the 160 Vericolor for that,) ...the occasional sports gig, but rarely anything where high speed colorwas really worth it given the stuff of the time. Used some Ektachrome 200 somewhere along the way, and I seem to recall playing with the Kodacolor 400s here and there, but they kept changing the stuff, anyway. Usually not for the better, to my mind. Brighter and brighter and brighter till every darn Coke can you didn't even spot at the time seemed to take over the shot. (And there were a lot of them thrown around all the time) Drove me out of using much color at all before long.

I usually kept the color pretty slow, though.

Nowadays I don't think I'd hesitate to shoot some of the faster color films for a lot of things, though.
07-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Film

Generally, the slowest film that would get you the shot. Grain structure used to be important. Used lots of 4X5, 120, & 35mm Tri-X. More or less standard. Could soup mixed sizes at once in 3 1/2 gal. dip & dunk tanks. Shot lots of Ektachrome. Not much color neg.

07-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'd rarely push hard unless there was no other way to get the shot. Usually I'd confine it to like 800 if I were shooting Tri-X: if I had to go to a pro lab, that'd be about as much as I'd let someone else do, and it'd get done faster. If I was doing the processing, 1600 was no big deal.

Where I got paid was mostly for like weddings, (Pretty much used the 160 Vericolor for that,) ...the occasional sports gig, but rarely anything where high speed colorwas really worth it given the stuff of the time. Used some Ektachrome 200 somewhere along the way, and I seem to recall playing with the Kodacolor 400s here and there, but they kept changing the stuff, anyway. Usually not for the better, to my mind. Brighter and brighter and brighter till every darn Coke can you didn't even spot at the time seemed to take over the shot. (And there were a lot of them thrown around all the time) Drove me out of using much color at all before long.

I usually kept the color pretty slow, though.

Nowadays I don't think I'd hesitate to shoot some of the faster color films for a lot of things, though.

sounds like you stayed between 160 and 400 with the occasional bump to 800. 1600 came in if you really needed it....