Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #1

Dial Data Back

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Was the KX Motor Drive camera ever available with a dial data back? When I bought mine at a pawn shop back in the early nineties there were two factory cut rectangular holes thru the back and pressure plate (of course the dial data was gone!). I had to use a pressure plate and back covering off a K1000 parts camera to use the camera. The holes were cut right where they are shown in pics of the K2DMD. Perhaps someone adapted a K2DMD back onto the KX. Will probably never know.

07-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #2

Original Poster
Oh Well

Never mind. Found the answer myself from the K2DMD instruction book online. Says to read seperate manual for Data Back KM/KX since they are the same. Next time I'll research my questions better!
07-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Butkus has a manual for a Data K for the KX in PDF. Pentax Data K, KX instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

If you are interested in KX accy, take a look at this,

KX*(motor)

KX*(motor)

There was a variation of the K2DMD data back that was available for some of the screw mount bodies that was very similar. If your body has the holes, there is no harm in seeing if one will mount. There was a similar device for variations of the Spot F, ES II etc.

Having the KX motor body is pretty cool.

Scroll down the list at this page to see the ES II, SP F etc that had data back and motor options. Unfortunately, there are no pics linked to them yet. Screwmount
07-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks

If I could find the data back and motor drive for a reasonable price, you betcha
I'd spring for it. I'd settle for the motor. At least the camera is in mint condition and I got it for $75 (of course that was almost twenty years ago).

07-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Blue/guy,

There is an issue with all the old Pentax dial data backs save the LX. Pentax no longer services this old analog gear. I have the dial data back for the MX. I got it used off Ebay and although it works there is a problem. The years maxed out at some point in the 1990s and are pretty much useless now. The month and days are just fine. Pentax apparently no longer services this equipment so I’m out of luck as far a full functionality goes. Your dial data, which is even older, no doubt has the same issues. I’m not sure if Pentax even updates the LX data back any more. Just a heads up.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 10-31-2009 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typo
07-31-2009, 07:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
Data

If I remember correctly the data back for the KX/KM/K2DMD was simply a clock face that you could also write on for additional data. So it does not have a year end problem.
08-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a ME Super with a Dial Data Back on eBay for sale. It looks more advanced than the pictures I have seen of the K2DMD one.

Pentax ME Super mit Pentax Dial Data ME +++ bei eBay.de: (endet 11.08.09 13:41:26 MESZ)

08-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by guy1966 Quote
If I remember correctly the data back for the KX/KM/K2DMD was simply a clock face that you could also write on for additional data. So it does not have a year end problem.
I didn't realize that Guy. I found an image of one (KX data back) on Google and it's a rather boxy affair isn't it?

http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/KX-Data.jpg

How could you take a picture with that box between your face and the viewfinder?

On the other hand, unlike my Dial Data MX, it is apparently still fully functional.

The Dial Data MX looks pretty cool but those tiny dials can be a pain in the ass to set. Another downside was the fact it took three of the same silver oxide batteries which powered the MX to power the data back. As I recall they sucked a lot of power and didn't last very long either.

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-02-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typo
08-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Its not as boxy as the brick looking version with a timex in it.
10-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Dial Data Back Year Function

Is there any chance Pentax or another supplier might produce a new wheel with current years on it? Surely, production technology has improved by leaps and bounds since the mid-1980s. that would enable a garage enterprise to do this.

Any thoughts...
10-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil47 Quote
Is there any chance Pentax or another supplier might produce a new wheel with current years on it? Surely, production technology has improved by leaps and bounds since the mid-1980s. that would enable a garage enterprise to do this.

Any thoughts...
Look at how many people do you still see shooting with these cameras, and ask yourself if you feel it would be worth the time, energy and $ involved making the back.
Personally I wouldn't feel it's worth my time to.

Personally if I want to know the date a photo was taken I'll either write it down somewhere or use digital.
If I want the date on the front I'll get the photos printed with a white border, and write the date on there. Not on the photo it's self.
10-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I thought these thing put the date on the edge of the negative.
10-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

That would be nice if they did Blue, and for all I know some cameras do. However every time I've seen the photos taken with a date back it's been on the image in red numbers.
10-31-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil47 Quote

Any thoughts...
Yeah technology has advanced but its all digital now. I'm afraid we will have to park these old databacks next to our buggy whips.

Tom G
10-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Hey, there are still people that use buggies and they can still get livery and rigging for them.