Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why its so hard to find an information of Pentax *ist?

even a decent review..

in few days hopefully i will receive my result of few months searching this camera....a friend of mine informed me about some of his friend about to sell his near mint condition Pentax *ist. I indeed inform him before about my dream to get this little beauty, the last beauty from ASAHI..

luckily seem from the picture my friend sent me.. the camera look neat and mint..
i will update the news as soon as i hold he camera..

but first i want to look out some information again about this camera, her perform, capability, and maybe user impression..

but until now my result still thin.. i know in January 2004 (from googling ) , Shutterbug Magazine have some kind review of this camera.. is there anybody here have the copy of that magazine, so maybe he can scan it and post it here in the forum..

--

--

beauty isnt it?

Last edited by fearview; 08-05-2009 at 01:49 AM.
08-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess you have already looked at the Dimitrov site as well as the camera review site here at PF.

They are interesting bodies and hold the distinction of being the last film body in production.
08-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The *ist was the last Pentax film SLR.

It was released in 2003 to very little notice. By then digital had already supplanted film photography.

Chris
08-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I just got one too, albeit with some "issues". What a cool little body! I wish it could support M and K lenses, but so it goes. The *ist combined with a DA40 seems about as small as a full-function 35mm SLR wil get.

08-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
update

odd couple

-

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I just got one too, albeit with some "issues". What a cool little body! I wish it could support M and K lenses, but so it goes. The *ist combined with a DA40 seems about as small as a full-function 35mm SLR wil get.
hello Nick.. can you mention the "issue"..?

without the grip.. the camera is so small.

i havent do anything with this. can this camera be operate solely depend on the AA batery from the grip?

*try read the manuals*
08-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It is a truly tiny camera. I have one, and for what it's worth, I love it. I love the features, I love the smallness, I love how it looks, and my Fiancee actually thinks it's cute
08-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow. I have never heard of this one, but I just figured out where 1st'D came from from

08-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what info do you want?

follow this link for the manual

http://www.pentax.ca/pdf/o_manuals/om_IST_f.pdf
08-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Still, I look the old mechanical SLR's...nice and dirty!
08-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi fearview -

Everything about my *ist works except the shutter release button. It will AF but not trip the shutter. Through Google I have found a few people with similar issues, on the DSLRs too, but no great fix. As an extremely awkward work around, I have been using a cable release, which works fine - luckily it is the same as the one I use for my K100d. Even holding the cable release in my left hand too the ist is a small package, but a lot of the beauty of the tiny camera is lost. I am working my way through a roll of film to make sure everything else is working before I take it in for an estimate on repairs.

If it can be fixed, I will do it - it is a sweet little camera.
08-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I was looking in the pop-photo archives and they had a full review on the *ist, from 2000 or so I
08-06-2009, 05:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster

in comparison
08-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Hi fearview -

Everything about my *ist works except the shutter release button. It will AF but not trip the shutter. Through Google I have found a few people with similar issues, on the DSLRs too, but no great fix. As an extremely awkward work around, I have been using a cable release, which works fine - luckily it is the same as the one I use for my K100d. Even holding the cable release in my left hand too the ist is a small package, but a lot of the beauty of the tiny camera is lost. I am working my way through a roll of film to make sure everything else is working before I take it in for an estimate on repairs.

If it can be fixed, I will do it - it is a sweet little camera.
..i dont have my cable release yet.. so i wont know wheter similiar problem like yours will happen with mine..

so far .. even when i know my copy is in very mint condition .. ifound that the jog dial is little bit tight, if i try to move it clockwise..

but maybe this is because this camera rarely been used by its previous owner..
--

sweet little thing indeed

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
I was looking in the pop-photo archives and they had a full review on the *ist, from 2000 or so I

thanks ..this is what i want. i try to search it up and down through google.. never succed..
hey thanks again.

now i can read people comment about this last jewel slr from Pentax..

-----

so far my impression is..:

this thing is so small. i have the battery grip with it..so it make look littel biggerr.. but if leave the battery grip.. this thing so small.

the viewfinder is bright, but not huge like the old SLR like my KX or ME

the shutter very smooth.

08-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Shutterbug: Pentaxs ist 35mm Camera

just found.

08-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I was searching google for "hyper and manual and pentax" and came up with all kinds of hits on the *ist.