Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I end up keeping two systems?? (digital and film) lol

I got the film bug since my FA 50 *impulse* purchase. At first I got it and said "oh, would be so nice if I can use this on film cameras", so I got me the MZ-L instead of a down-to earth manual focus body since I have the Tamron 28-75 and want to utilize the autofocus. In the end I don't use the 28-75 much at all in film. I feel that the FOV is bizzare. Maybe I'm just so used to the 28-75 in APS-C.

But now I have some lenses that I only exclusively use on one system but not the other, despite the two being completely interchangeable.

Film-only:
Sigma 8mm Circular (nuff said; I always wonder if the Peleng is also a circular lens?)
Takumar 135mm (hate 135mm on digital... but on film it's a really nice lens)
Tak 28mm (I find 28mm prime on digital just bizarre... besides I seem to get much nicer results when this lens is on the ME Super)
M 40/2.8 (I end up pixelpeeing this lens if I use digital and it makes me sad, but the film images looks superb at f/8)

Digital only
Takumar 200mm (haven't really tried it on film, to be fair)
Tamron 28-75 (this lens on film just feels weird... it's like 18-55 but not quite the same)

On the other hand there are lenses that I love equally on both film and Digital:
FA 35
FA 50 (ok, I love it way more on film, but it still has its niche on digital when the Tammy isn't just fast enough)
DA 10-17 (panorama mode + 14mm fish = love)
SMC Tak 50 (still my best lens)

I have the Tak 24 and 105 coming soon and I have a feeling that the 105 will be a digital lens, while 24 will be a film / digital lens (replacing the 28mm tak on digital while complementing it on film).

Last edited by Andi Lo; 08-03-2009 at 07:42 PM.
08-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting observations - yes, me too, I find some lenses just simply do better on one than the other.

The 105 however, is a very different lens on film and on digital, and I actually end up using mine mostly on film.
08-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
fair enough, is a matter of taste... since I have no Digi-SLR I can only comment on the film lenses... and my only thought was
YOU HAVE NOT TRIED THE 200 on FILM???? I do not know which version you have but if it is as good as the screw 200/4 SMC you'll be in love.
08-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
fair enough, is a matter of taste... since I have no Digi-SLR I can only comment on the film lenses... and my only thought was
YOU HAVE NOT TRIED THE 200 on FILM???? I do not know which version you have but if it is as good as the screw 200/4 SMC you'll be in love.
I just hesitated because the lens is huge, actually. I will try it sooner or later on the ME Super. I have the 200 but doubtful if it's SMC. It takes quite contrasty images though so I think it might be the "later super takumar" version

08-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

FA Limiteds work great on Film and Digital
08-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
FA Limiteds work great on Film and Digital
That is so very true but on digital as a set they are a little bit longish in the sense that the FA31 becomes your walk-around lens as opposed to the FA43 on film. I wish they would have been a FA24 Limited for use on digital of course cropping is the other alternative...
I would gladly settle for A-24mm if I started shooting digital again but for now I will just keep myself covered with the two DA* zoom on digital.

Cheers,

Luc
08-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You'd think the 28 would be good on digital then, as it translates to 42mm... but you're right, these lenses are fantastic on film

08-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
You'd think the 28 would be good on digital then, as it translates to 42mm... but you're right, these lenses are fantastic on film
I don't know why but the FOV + perspective combination of 28mm (prime) on digital doesn't make much sense for me. On the 28-75mm zoom I accept it and I actually feel it's wide, but on a prime it just feels a bit constrained.

My next lens is probably gonna be silver 43mm FA Lim so we'll see if that changes anything
08-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Why not a 21mm lmited?
that should give you some wide angle
08-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps not really relevant to this conversation, but I have noticed big time that the quality of the images when using film are far better with prime lenses instead of zooms. I do not see this big a difference with my dslr'S though. Am I smoking crack?
08-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Why not a 21mm lmited?
that should give you some wide angle
I am less and less inclined to buy a lens that is not full frame.
I am actually considering selling my digital system.
Not that I am hopeful that Pentax/Samsung might release a full frame digital body.
And I certainly do not have the means to go Nikon D700 and new glass.

Cheers,

Luc
08-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
I am less and less inclined to buy a lens that is not full frame.
I am actually considering selling my digital system.
Not that I am hopeful that Pentax/Samsung might release a full frame digital body.
And I certainly do not have the means to go Nikon D700 and new glass.

Cheers,

Luc
Actually, that's kind of part of why I wouldn't mind that 21: I don't place a big emphasis on going terribly-wide, and for the sake of having it on digital, well, I'd prefer it to be small and hopefully sharp for the occasional use. I'd be OK if they made a version of the old consumer 28 2.8. I'd rather have a nicer 24, if I were shooting wide on film, but I don't wanna carry around the one I'd most like to be using on those rare occasions.

28mm was always a pretty utilitarian focal length on film to me, rarely very inspiring, but unlike Andi, I really like it on crop. It's a favorite, actually.
08-06-2009, 06:11 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Maybe not, rememeber that you are just using the center with D-cameras, thus the best portion of the optics even in crappy zooms.
In film you use the whole frame, not just the center....
From NikonKit

film is the full image, pentax DSLR is APS size (23.4x15.6mm) or the smalles center frame

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Perhaps not really relevant to this conversation, but I have noticed big time that the quality of the images when using film are far better with prime lenses instead of zooms. I do not see this big a difference with my dslr'S though. Am I smoking crack?

Last edited by titrisol; 08-06-2009 at 06:21 AM.
08-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #14
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Interesting observations - yes, me too, I find some lenses just simply do better on one than the other.

The 105 however, is a very different lens on film and on digital, and I actually end up using mine mostly on film.

Hey Andi,

As the former owner of your 24 and 105...I have a feeling you'll like *both* lenses on film. I actually don't see much application of the 105 for digital, as it's in a wierd spot. But it's the perfect portrait lens on film, especially at f/4.

Edmund
08-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
Hey Andi,

As the former owner of your 24 and 105...I have a feeling you'll like *both* lenses on film. I actually don't see much application of the 105 for digital, as it's in a wierd spot. But it's the perfect portrait lens on film, especially at f/4.

Edmund
I think I was wishing that if I get the 105mm I can finally get the street shots that Mike Cash gets... I've tried the 100mm DFA on film and indeed I like the focal length quite a bit We'll see how (film or digital) I'll like them when I actually use em