Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 04:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Green button on film SLRs

Please excuse my ignorance. I never shot screw mount lenses or K mount on film SLRs; but used only FA lenses. Once I moved to digital (100D Super), started exploring more on these other avenues and hooked up to these m42 glass pieces. (read addicted). At the same time, using more of "M" mode and meter reading is taken from so called GREEN button (AE/L button). Now I just want to dust out my film SLR and try these takumars on them. Surprise, no green button on earlier camera . How to shoot or take meter reading for these combination?

* Try rough readings in Av mode and switch to M mode and adjust as per the choice or any other methods?

thanks in advance

08-06-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It would probably help to know what film camera you have.
08-06-2009, 05:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sudhakar Quote
Please excuse my ignorance. I never shot screw mount lenses or K mount on film SLRs; but used only FA lenses. Once I moved to digital (100D Super), started exploring more on these other avenues and hooked up to these m42 glass pieces. (read addicted). At the same time, using more of "M" mode and meter reading is taken from so called GREEN button (AE/L button). Now I just want to dust out my film SLR and try these takumars on them. Surprise, no green button on earlier camera . How to shoot or take meter reading for these combination?

* Try rough readings in Av mode and switch to M mode and adjust as per the choice or any other methods?

thanks in advance
buy a light meter
08-06-2009, 05:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I assume you're using an AF body, or at least a program camera...

two methods:
in Av (often the program mode defaults to Av when a non A lens is in use): stop the screw mount lens down to shooting aperture, and the camera sets shutter speed. I.e. just like with digital. Depending on the body, with a K lens you simply set the aperture and the camera takes it from there... but some of the crippled mounts won't do this.

For K-M (and method 2 for screw mount): put the camera into manual metering mode, and there will be some version of exposure indication in the view finder. With K lenses, you can meter wide open, with the screws you have to stop the lens down.

If your camera doesn't have a manual mode and has a crippled K mount, I'm not sure what your alternatives are...

08-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you are lucky enough to have an PZ-1 the AE button works just like green button in manual mode.

this body has aperture coupling so k & M lenses work just fine in manual or Av mode
08-06-2009, 06:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

green button? no need for it.
I do not know which camera you have but you must check that is able to use the older lenses.
check the dimitrov website and make sure yours is not a "crippled mount" camera (KAF2)
If it is able to, you meter the light via a mechanical coupling with the lens (k mount) or directly by stoping-down (screw mount)

When using the M42-K adapter make sure the linkage is moved all the way to f/1.0 so that the metering is not screwed up

Last edited by titrisol; 08-06-2009 at 06:13 AM.
08-06-2009, 06:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

my ME Super metered surprisingly well w/ my S-M-C 50 1.4

08-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thansk for the input so far. The model is Z-20. Bought in 1995
08-07-2009, 05:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sudhakar Quote
Thansk for the input so far. The model is Z-20. Bought in 1995
The Z-20 is a K-mount SLR. It can use manual lenses. I know because I have the same camera, although it is dead now.

Cheers...
08-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here is a link to your camera manual:
http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/PZ-20.pdf

M42 screw mount lenses on your camera:
  • Manual Focus (duh)
  • Av Mode with stop-down, center-weighted metering
  • Metered Manual Mode with stop-down, spot metering

For stop-down metering to work, the lens must be capable of operating with a manual iris diaphragm:
  • A/M switch in "M" position for auto-aperture lenses
  • Pre-set ring/switch in stopped down position for pre-set aperture lenses
  • No action needed for manual aperture lenses
  • Auto-aperture lenses without the A/M switch require a special adapter or internal modification to be fully compatible with your camera

Steve

(BTW...Green button on K100D Super with M42 lenses? Av mode is a lot easier...Compose/Focus/Stop Down/Expose)

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-07-2009 at 09:55 AM.
08-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(BTW...Green button on K100D Super with M42 lenses? Av mode is a lot easier...Compose/Focus/Stop Down/Expose)
no green button on the K100D's. you forgot the step where you have to liberally apply lots of +EV Compensation
08-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
no green button on the K100D's. you forgot the step where you have to liberally apply lots of +EV Compensation
I will let you explain that one! I figured it would be tangential to this film-oriented thread.

Steve
08-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks everybody. The +/- button worked to take meter reading (spot meter only). Set the mode in "M". Set it at proper aperture number, keep shutter half way and then press +/- button gives you reading.

Also learned another point is, for screw mount lenses on this camera, focus indictaor does not work but on digital it works.
08-10-2009, 06:11 AM   #14

Help me Obie-Wan!

I can't find the GREEN BUTTON on my SV!!!