Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Alright I just discovered why my PZ-70 is silent. The mirror doesnt even go up! Please disregard my last anecdote on the shutter sound
Phew, I was starting to think there was something wrong with mine! I use a Ricoh XR-10 for my (K-Mount) film shooting - no missing that metal shutter sound

09-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where can one get the MZ-S relativley cheap? KEH has them form $450-600. e-bay they are always well over $500.00. IMHO the MZ-S is the most expensive autofocus film body there is. The only other body that comes close is the EOS-1v. It is easier to find an F5 for less then $500.00 then it is to find the MZ-S.

As for the PZ-1p, the autofocus on the PZ-1p might be just a little faster then the autofocus on the K10D, but it is not nearly as good. It is really just the moter in the PZ-1p seems a little faster. It has trouble with horizontal lines as it is a horizontal sensor. It is not nearly as good in the dark, and just a single sensor.
09-13-2009, 12:18 AM   #18
Veteran Member

i was trying to sell mine for $400 and no one would bite here
the MZ-S also has the same problem w/ horizontal lines, but just tilting the camera a bit helps a lot. however, it's low light acquisition is way better than my K100D
09-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #19
Inactive Account

I have not got my mitts on a PZ 1p yet...they are sweet. Bang for the buck....ZX5. I LOVE the retro shutter speed dial + spot meter. The chronic with these is the spring on the pop up flash tends to fail. I have a good one...but have sold 3 that needed a finger to hold up the flash. The info in the viewfinder is hard to see in bright light. I prefer the SF-1 finder...one of the best. Like the ZX5,the SF-1 has diopter adjust built in,a plus as I get to shoot without glasses.

The ZX=S costs a LOT on ebay....as much as an LX. You can get a PZ-1 or 1P at a decent price or a ZX-5n....but the ZX-5 and SF-1 go surprisingly cheap at times. A sleeper is the PZ10. One of the easiest to use point+shoot,works well with the FA power zoom features, In manual,is spot meter.

I am not big on AF. I have a Chinon CP6 I like.....takes K lenses,spot meters,multi exposure, runs on AAA nimh. My ZX5 has the battery pack F that takes 4 AA's. These save $ over using the lithiums. There was a Batt holder for the SF's but good luck finding one. The AA pack for Zx/Mz is not hard to get.

Chinon's CP5s,CP6,Cp7m are stock with AA or AAA grip. They do Prog mode on a plain K mount. The CP7 or CP7m has winder. The CP 5s and CP6 do not,but offer spot meter. My wish would be a CP6 with TTL flash ability. The Pentax P3N would have rated higher with TTL. I don't LIKE to fuss with manual flash,always was more into fast primes and available light. I don't like $15 Lithium batteries and I need spot meter.

I still have love for my screw mt Mamiyas. Unlike the Spotmatic,the DTL +DSX have spot meter. They are a bit heavy but you have to get sadistic to bust one. Old School steel and will shoot with no battery.
My DTL 1000 in spot meter with the Sigma 135 1.8 has been THE sweet set for "concert" shots,stage lighting. I also bring the Sigma 300 4.0,and It's interesting that the old style center needle meter in spot is THE killer for shooting in that situation. Screw lenses need no red dot to swap lenses. Center needle+spot lets you scan the scene and see the relative light values. Very efficient.

You can get a Mamiya DTL 1000 dirt cheap. The Mamiya glass is very good,but in M42,there is also the SMC Takumar line I have an SMC Tak 135 and a Novoflex 100mm I favor as macro on the bellows. They are just NASTY sharp. The SMC 135 can use the plus of auto tubes or the auto bellows.

The YS mount for my old Sigmas is interesting. Unlike a Tamron adapter,the YS lens base was a M42 screw thread. THUS.....the YS PK adapter makes any M42 act like a K mount...and that includes a rig with M42 auto tubes or auto bellows.

For whatever reason,my Chinon CP-6 tends to jam with the YS adapter but the ZX 5 does fine. This is good it I'm doing macro and want to get the + of TTL flash
I have a slave and 283 vivitar. Engage the ZX5's pop up an the TTL is gonna see the total light.....so even if the bellows somewhat messes with the on camera pp up up,the slaved Vivi gets to act like TTL. It's a rather odd mix but workable.

Anyhow.....I am pleased with the ZX-5,and I do like Chinons and,in M42,Mamiyas.
In M42 Mamiya and Chinon had some major advantages on Pentax. Chinon had bodies that did Aperture priority+full aperture meter. Mamiya liked spot meter and some did full aperture with some lenses.