Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #1

LX - Q from new owner

I bought an LX today at a camera shop. They told me it was in fine working order - but how do I check it? Also the cover for the external motor is missing. is this a problem? Any idea where to get a replacement? Thanks

08-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thomascdk Quote
I bought an LX today at a camera shop. They told me it was in fine working order - but how do I check it? Also the cover for the external motor is missing. is this a problem? Any idea where to get a replacement? Thanks
If it is missing a motor drive cover(s) (there are two) it is not in working condition. The covers are not optional as they light seal the camera.
As far as checking it goes, leave the camera sit for a day and then trip the shutter. If it hesitates, then it has sticky mirror.
You can also check to see if the mirror is in the correct rest position by checking to see if something parallel to the camera (a brick wall for example) can be brought into focus at both the top and bottom of the viewfinder and that this corresponds to a properly focused image.
I test this by focusing the camera and then checking with a groundglass and loupe placed at the focal plane, but checking sharpness of a negative or slide is likely easier for most people.
After that, all you can do is shoot film and see if it is metering correctly. Note that you cannot test the auto exposure on the LX without film in the camera as it is taking it's exposure reading off the film and so needs film for reflectivity.
08-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Forum Member

Another easy way to tell if the mirror rest foam has decayed is to take the lens off and flip the mirror up (mirror lockup, or set to B and hold the shutter button). On each side of the mirror box, near where the bottom of the mirror would be when it is down, there is a little round cylinder of black foam sticking out from the walls. If the cylinder has an indentation in it (and it may be shiny) then the foam throughout the camera is turning into goo and needs to be replaced.

I had mine replaced and overhauled by Pentax Service in Colorado about a year ago; it cost about $300.
08-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If it is missing a motor drive cover(s) (there are two) it is not in working condition. The covers are not optional as they light seal the camera.
As far as checking it goes, leave the camera sit for a day and then trip the shutter. If it hesitates, then it has sticky mirror.
You can also check to see if the mirror is in the correct rest position by checking to see if something parallel to the camera (a brick wall for example) can be brought into focus at both the top and bottom of the viewfinder and that this corresponds to a properly focused image.
I test this by focusing the camera and then checking with a groundglass and loupe placed at the focal plane, but checking sharpness of a negative or slide is likely easier for most people.
After that, all you can do is shoot film and see if it is metering correctly. Note that you cannot test the auto exposure on the LX without film in the camera as it is taking it's exposure reading off the film and so needs film for reflectivity.
Yes, you'll either need to find the covers somewhere or get a Winder LX (or motordrive, but those are tougher to find) and mount it in order to make sure you have a light-tight body.

08-11-2009, 04:07 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. It goes back to the shop, I think.
08-11-2009, 06:40 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
That would be a shame, cos it's a great camera with all its bits, you didn't say what you paid for it; to work out if it's worth having serviced and bits replaced.
08-12-2009, 03:05 AM   #7

Original Poster
Well - it went back to the shop. They were embarrassed having sold a camera with these faults. They'll try to have it fixed, but in the mean time I got a M100 macro instead.

So off hunting for that elusive LX again...