Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #1

Help! MZ-7 shutter release not working

I recently bought a used MZ-7 from Henry's on eBay. I am completely new to film photography, and the camera didn't come with a manual. It worked fine for 13 exposures, but now the shutter is not activating. A half-press activates the metering and autofocus/autofocus confirmation, but the camera will not actually take a picture. I have removed the batteries and put them back in and changed lenses, but can't really think of what else to do. The LCD isn't giving me any weird error messages. Does anyone have any suggestions?

08-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not familiar with that camera, however you might try checking the AF.S - AF-C - MF switch. Also check if the Aperture ring is set on "A". Just a couple of things that might affect it. Hopefully someone knowledgeable about that camera will respond.
08-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, all the dials, including the manual focus/auto-focus switch and the "A" setting on the aperture ring are in a definate spot that "snicks." Everything is working as it should, however the camera still isn't releasing the shutter. Could I just have bad luck, and the shutter puked on me right after my first 13 exposures with it? I just sent in a DA* 50-135 that needed to be replaced, not fixed under warranty. Hope I don't have to send in more of my equipment.
08-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I believe there are some conditions in some modes under which the MZ-7 won't release the shutter, like without AF confirmation or a valid exposure: I'm afraid I don't recall the details, but Photolady here was experiencing a problem like that.

The manual is online somewhere, not sure where. Pentax's own site, perhaps, and possibly orphancameras.com.

Are the batteries fresh, by the way?

08-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes the batteries are only 1 week/13 exposures old. I am getting focus confirmation, as the symbol appears, and I hear the beep. I should also mention that it stopped working while I was shooting objects, all of which were around the same exposure settings, so i'm not sure if the valid exposure thing applies.
08-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have any ideas, but here's the manual:

Pentax MZ-7, ZX-7 manual, user manual, free instruction manual, pdf manuals
08-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
This might be a really dumb question, but should I be able to activtate the shutter when there is no film loaded? I rewound and took out the film after the camera stopped working, then tried testing it without film inside. Still no shutter

08-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Black Magic Quote
This might be a really dumb question, but should I be able to activtate the shutter when there is no film loaded? I rewound and took out the film after the camera stopped working, then tried testing it without film inside. Still no shutter
I don't know, but maybe the user manual that one of the posters left the link for might give some of that information.
08-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
Damn Brit

Moving to Film forum where you should get an answer.
08-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You should be able to fire the shutter without film. A question: do you hear any noise at all when you press the shutter button? You may have encountered a somewhat common problem in MZ/ZX bodies where a plastic gear on the mirror motor cracks/breaks. The replacement part has a metal gear instead, though changing it is not super-easy. I have a ZX-5n which probably needs this surgery and it won't fire or invoke depth-of-field preview either; I hear a quiet buzzing noise when I hit the button, though I don't know if this is always the case. This camera worked intermittently when I first got it but I can no longer "make it work". Try looking at some of these threads.
02-25-2024, 04:22 PM   #11

Mz-50 shutter does not fire

I am experiencing this issue with an MZ-50 shutter button appears to work, initiates autofocuss but when fully depressed to release shutter the camera makes a whining noise like it is loading a capacitor for a flash shutter does not release I have a second body same camera that does work so I am sure I am not in wrong settings if there is a sollution or knowledge here on the sight that I have not found It would be greatly appreciated of some one could share before I tear it down looking for something that might be simpler than I am aware of.
02-26-2024, 06:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Black Magic Quote
I believe you can, I'll test when I get back home on friday
02-27-2024, 07:38 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Patrick_d_Harrington Quote
I am experiencing this issue with an MZ-50 shutter button appears to work, initiates autofocuss but when fully depressed to release shutter the camera makes a whining noise like it is loading a capacitor for a flash shutter does not release I have a second body same camera that does work so I am sure I am not in wrong settings if there is a sollution or knowledge here on the sight that I have not found It would be greatly appreciated of some one could share before I tear it down looking for something that might be simpler than I am aware of.
It sounds like the plastic gear on one of the main drive motors has cracked. As a result, it can no longer trigger the exposure sequence (lift the mirror, release the aperture, fire the shutter). It's fixable but requires a significant tear down of the camera. Here's what it looks like for the ZX-5n, a similar camera to your MZ-50.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Pentax+ZX-5n+Mirror+Motor+Gear+Replacement/153198