Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Good stuff isn't being sold the way it was a few years ago, either. Backward compatibility has its drawbacks if you want to buy old lenses.
That's true. Still remember we could buy Tamron 1.4x AF TC for $50 brand new, now even second hand is selling for $150 ...

08-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Bro, only someone like you who has owned most of the Pentax lenses at one time or another can ID a fuzzy image like that. The size of the front element looks, number of aperture marks and size of the focusing ring tells me you've uncovered a treasure. Congrats.
08-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Bro, only someone like you who has owned most of the Pentax lenses at one time or another can ID a fuzzy image like that. The size of the front element looks, number of aperture marks and size of the focusing ring tells me you've uncovered a treasure. Congrats.
Thanks Denis

Actually I was just curious how come a black MX mounted w/ a lens only selling for such a low price. After I opened up the ad, I didn't think much but clicked on the buy-it-now button first. I missed a couple of auctions when I was checking and verifying the items shown in those fuzzy product shots while someone else snapped them ahead of me. Let's wait and see how this one turns out
08-16-2009, 11:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Front of that lens looks some fat/phat. I'd agree it's almost certainly a K 1.2 WOW!

Good for you!

Regards,
Mike

08-17-2009, 12:28 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Oh, it's a K f1.2 50mm all right. I know bargain f1.2 50's when I see 'em...but I daresay Frank's beat me on the bargain stakes.
08-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #21
Banned

its also incredibly easy to replace a rewind nob. you got a black MX and a 50 1.2, for less than what just the MX would command. you nearly got both of these for free. yea id say you got one heck of a deal.
08-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #22
Veteran Member

anyway . i just lost bid K 1.2 a

Pentax K 50mm f/1.2 SMC super fast standard lens - eBay (item 200371052298 end time Aug-13-09 19:31:01 PDT)

ahaha

so i said my pray for frank..

08-17-2009, 03:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again, guys. You made me feel like I just won a lottery But we don't know the actual condition of the lens, yet. Hope it's not in junk condition like a couple of other lenses I got from eBay (seller said they were in excellent working condition, but actually they were junks )

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
its also incredibly easy to replace a rewind nob. you got a black MX and a 50 1.2, for less than what just the MX would command. you nearly got both of these for free. yea id say you got one heck of a deal.
Yeah, I know about that, and can put one on in a minute when the camera is here Let's hope the camera doesn't have any other issue though.

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
anyway . i just lost bid K 1.2 a

Pentax K 50mm f/1.2 SMC super fast standard lens - eBay (item 200371052298 end time Aug-13-09 19:31:01 PDT)

ahaha

so i said my pray for frank..

Thanks

Actually I saw that one too. My friend wanted to bid on the lens, but I told him to back out 'cause the final price wouldn't be cheap. I guess I was right, again
08-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #24
Inactive Account

I noticed this thread and wanted to jump on and see if you guys can help me. I have a Pentax MX with a broken rewind knob. How do I open the back of the camera?? Or do I need to start unscrewing all those tiny screws and take the top off??

Of course once I have the back open, I will also ask about a source for repair parts.

TIA.
08-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MX guy Quote
I noticed this thread and wanted to jump on and see if you guys can help me. I have a Pentax MX with a broken rewind knob. How do I open the back of the camera?? Or do I need to start unscrewing all those tiny screws and take the top off??

Of course once I have the back open, I will also ask about a source for repair parts.

TIA.
I would suggest sending your MX to Eric. See link below.

Home

Phil
08-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MX guy Quote

TIA.
Should be very easy if you know how. The rewind knob is two part thing (other than those small assembly parts, one is the top knob plate, the other part is the rewind shaft (pole). Don't know which part is broken. As long as you can reach the rewind shaft, just pull it up and the door is gonna open. If the shaft is gone, there should be a small hole. You can use (or make) a small hook to serve as the rewind shaft to open the film door
08-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, here is the update. Just got the camera and lens yesterday. Well, as expected, the camera was pretty beaten up, brassing and scratches everywhere. But good thing is, only the rewind knob (the top part) was missing. The rewind shaft was still there. And there was a roll of unfinished film inside the film chamber. So I could easily just pull the rewind shaft up w/ my finger tips and open the film door Already got spare parts ready, so that one was fixed in less than a minute.

The film chamber and shutter clothe were very clean, probably due to the unfinished film inside. But the light seals were all dry out, definitely need to be replaced. The batter door was jammed, I couldn't open it at all no matter how. So I took off the whole bottom plate (surprisingly easy, not like a couple of other old film cameras I had before). The batteries were licking green liquid but not dry yet, the battery chamber and contact were clean and dry, probably due to the batteries were still in early stage of corrosion. Threw away the batteries, soaked the whole thing in white vinegar. One hour later, I tried to unscrew the battery cover again, worked like a charm

The flash hotshoe was loose, I could see all the four hidden screws were loose. Took me a while to figure out how to reach them and tied them up. Now that's fixed too.

Put in new batteries, meter led turned on, don't know if the meter is accurate, yet, but I'll worry about that later. Took me an hour to clean the camera and put in new light seals and mirror bump foam, the camera seems working fine now.

Now it's the more exciting part, the lens. Well, it's not perfect, got some brassing on the aperture ring, but the glass is clean w/o any scratch or fungus. There is a little bit oily looking stuff right behind the very first element from the front, on the edge, only can be seen at certain angle. If look through the lens from front or back, can't see at all. Don't think it's gonna affect picture much, but I'll get it cleaned when I got time and tool to open up the front. The focusing ring is still buttery smooth, the aperture ring works great too. Overall it's in good working condition I guess.

Anyway, here is the camera and lens after cleanup:

I'm gonna go through a roll of film over the weekend and see how they turn out. For now, I can start to have some fun w/ the K50/1.2

Here is a wide open shot taken this morning with a K-7:

It's sharp enough even looking at 100% size, and I'm sure this can be improved if focused more accurately:

Cheers to all!
08-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Good job and congratulations Frank... I'm still jealous of this, you snagged a good one!
08-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Good job and congratulations Frank... I'm still jealous of this, you snagged a good one!
Thanks I think I'm gonna have quite some fun w/ the lens. Had the A50/1.2 before, didn't use much somehow. But I kinda like this little lens more than the A version, probably because it's much cheaper
08-28-2009, 05:29 AM   #30
Banned

I actually like the look of this one. black + brassing = cool. any chance of selling it for a good price? is it an early MX or a late model?