Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #1

Auto-Focus Lenses on Manual Bodies

Hello all,
I am new to Pentax. I just picked up an MX and 40/2.8. I have been primarily a film rangefinder user and I have the leica-mount 43/1.9 and really like it, so that got me interested in more Pentax glass. I went with an MX because I am used to fully manual, mechanical cameras. So far, I like it!

On to my question. I know you can use the modern Pentax (non-DA) auto-focus lenses on manual bodies, but how does it compare to using manual lenses on a manual body? In other words, how is the focusing movement, aperture controls, usability?

I know the 43/1.9 is an auto-focus lens in Pentax mount and I'm interested specifically in that and the other Limited lenses.

Thanks in advance for your help.

08-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the FA 35/2 and the FA 77/1.8 Limited and both are a pleasure to use on a manual focus film body. Not as nice as say my Pentax-K 55/1.8, but still quite nice. The only issues that I have had are:
  • The FA 35's focus ring is a bit hard to access when the hood is attached
  • The focus action on both lenses is not as smooth as a manual focus lens...you can feel the AF drive through the focus ring
I also have a Sigma Macro lens that is AF, but I seldom use it in that mode. I guess that is comment enough regarding its use as a manual focus lens!

Edit: I forgot to add a note regarding aperture controls. Your MX was designed to use the basic K-mount lenses. As such, you would use the FA series lenses with the aperture ring on other than the "A" position. My FA 35 has a very smooth aperture ring movement. The FA 77 limited is less smooth. This may be an issue with my copy, but to be honest, it feels a little clunky...not what I expected from a "Limited" series lens.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-21-2009 at 10:58 PM.
08-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I forgot to add...Welcome to the Forums!

Steve
08-22-2009, 02:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

AF lenses generally have short focus throws, and smaller focus rings. It seems holding on to the lens became an "after thought" once photography broke into the auto-focus era.

otherwise the controls are the same.

you twist the aperture ring on the lens to change aperture, and snap away.

08-22-2009, 03:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use the 43 on film quite often - and as above, I find it easy and well behaved, though the focusing ring is a bit smaller than a purpose built MF lens would have.

For A lenses and lenses without aperture rings, I have a Program Plus that allows me program mode, expanding my lens selection for film. This allows the use of e.g. the DA 70 limited, which works well on film.
08-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Before I got a digital body the only AF lens I had was the FA 135mm/2.8. While the results were quite satisfactory, using it on a film body was less than ideal because, as Gooshin suggested, the focus ring felt distinctly like an after thought. It's thin, plastic and loose to the touch, so precision focusing is very difficult with it.

Meanwhile, I now find that (using the genuine Pentax M42 adaptor) I mostly use screwmount, manual focus Takumar lenses on my digital and film bodies. In my experience, AF lenses just aren't really designed with MF in mind, although it's certainly still possible.
08-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

the FA limiteds have a slightly gritty feel and not too much resistance on the focus ring but is consistently smooth but never wobbly.
but the shorter focal lengths and lighter helicoids to improve autofocus detract from the manual focus feel.

08-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks all. That is the info I was looking for.