Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Give me an advice, please!

I've just bought MZ-6 and 28-105mm f/3.2-4.5
I've never used film camera before.
I do not know anything about developing film..
what can you say about the camera itself? how does it compares? like what is its class low end? high end? what's better?

what should I know before start shooting?

how to understand ISO on film.. i bought a film ISO 200 so, does that mean that now i'm able to shoot only in ISO 200?
the mode on a mode dial lets me to choose whatever ISO from 100- 6400 but what is its purpose?

what's PF mode on a mode dial?

is it possible to add a date stamp to pictures?
is it possible to transfer film captures to the computer? at which stage it is done?

what are film camera advantages over digital? are there any?

any other comments? or links to read about film photography.. thanks.

Last edited by Mystic; 08-23-2009 at 11:42 AM.
08-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Good call on getting a film camera!

what should I know before start shooting?

Take your time. Carry extra film.

how to understand ISO on film.. i bought a film ISO 200 so, does that mean that now i'm able to shoot only in ISO 200?
the mode on a mode dial lets me to choose whatever ISO from 100- 6400 but what is its purpose?

Yes the film is rated at ISO 200. Once it is in the camera, you can only shoot at ISO 200. You need to change film to change ISO.

The ISO selection dial on the camera needs to be set to match the film you are using. It adjusts the light meter to match the film. Don't change it once you have the film in the camera.

what's PF mode on a mode dial?

Here is the manual: Pentax MZ-6 instruction manual, user manual, free PDF manual, camera manual

The PF setting is used to set the camera's custom functions

is it possible to transfer film captures to the computer? at which stage it is done?

Once the film is developed, scan it. This usually can be done at the lab that developed your film. or you can do it if you have a scanner.

what are film camera advantages over digital? are there any?

Higher dynamic range. Film's grain structure. It's not the same as digital. Generally, I shoot BW with film, and colour with digital.
08-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks KungPow, you were very informative.

you said I should scan the film.. if it's not possible to scan it in the lab, in which it was developed, does my simple domestic HP scanner fits for that purpose?
08-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

MZ-6 is a great cam.

Here is a site, for more info :
Pentax Camera Bodies

Some cameras can imprint data from when pictures taken, but it can’t be removed from the negative.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
thanks KungPow, you were very informative.

you said I should scan the film.. if it's not possible to scan it in the lab, in which it was developed, does my simple domestic HP scanner fits for that purpose?

Most labs can scan your film as well as develop. Actually it is often done digital

08-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks Jonson PL for the link it's very interesting to see