Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Value of Pentax cameras

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, i'm interested in knowing which Pentax cameras are most valuable..
i mean those starting from 1950s till 1980s

MX? MG? k1000? others?

could you list some of the valuable models?
of course having in mind, that they are in good condition and functional..

thanks

08-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Outside of rare collectors pieces the LX is going to be one of the more vauable bodies, depending on what accessories it comes with. They still seem to sell around $400 for a body and finder in good shape.

Most of the other common K series film and Spotmatic bodies seem to move in the $50 to $100 range depending on condition and who's selling them. A body with a fresh overhaul by somebody reputable may be worth more.

I've seen K1000's listed at $200 or more at stores but that's mostly because they're widely recommended as a starter body and somebody new to photography is unlikely to have any reference point for pricing.

I'm not sure what the earlier S/H series and Asahiflex bodies from the '50s and early '60s would go for, they don't show up for sale as often but some of them could be considered collectors items.
08-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I recently saw a 1957 Asahi "S" with a rare f/1.8 55mm preset go for $657.00. This is a rare collector piece. Mechanically it had some issues.

Less than 4400 of the camera body were ever made and frankly that was the first f/1.8 55mm preset I'd ever seen. I was beginning to think it was a myth...

woof!
08-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hmmm. This thread got me thinking. I wonder what the value of my black Spotmatic F would be? I never see that model around, so would it be rare? Or is it just the same as any other F?

08-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I'm not sure what the earlier S/H series and Asahiflex bodies from the '50s and early '60s would go for, they don't show up for sale as often but some of them could be considered collectors items.
One of the Asahiflex 1a, or 2a usually can be had from ~$200-450. The very first Asahiflex may go for more. I ended up making do with a lowly Praktiflex in lieu of an Asahiflex.
08-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Hmmm. This thread got me thinking. I wonder what the value of my black Spotmatic F would be? I never see that model around, so would it be rare? Or is it just the same as any other F?
The black Spot F are less common than the satin chrome and usually bring more, often 2x the chrome. I have guesstimated about 1 black one for every 9 chrome ones. The ES and ES II however are mostly black models. There are chrome ones out there but fewer chrome ES and ES II than there are black Spot F.

I have a black K2 and a chrome K2. I could probably get more out of the black one because it was less common than the chrome. Pentax made more black models regarding the ES, ES II and LX than any other body from the A series and earlier bodies.
08-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Spotmatics are very common and prices run all over. Since there are various models with feature additions and deletions it is best to spend some time at AOHC and learn them. Black are more expensive than chrome, except ES/ESII.

K1000 prices are ridiculous - K2, KX and KM are better cameras with more features, rarer and all made in japan. I have never understood.

Rarest and most valuable K bodies; all assuming recent CLA

Ballparks from recent observations:

K2DMD - $400 if you can find it at all
KM Motor - ??? You'll never find one
K2 Black - $200
K2 - $150
KX Black (at least 1.5x chrome) $150+ - lately experiencing a resurgence
KX -$75
KM - $50 - $150 because nobody really knows what it is - what the K1000 should be.

M bodies:

MX Black - $200
MX Chrome - $100+

LX - $300 PLUS a $200 CLA ($389 already done). Variations include the later models - add 25%; accessories such as lugs, finders, winder or motor drive. LX was a system camera and the combination of accessories offered in sales makes giving you a value tough.

MZ-S $400 - $800, depending on condition and grip, boxes, etc.

Browse around on ebay for a couple hours Monday evenings for a few weeks. Except the K2's you'll get a good idea

08-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hands down the most expensive old Pentax cameras are the collectors LX box sets.

The Gold one
The Titanium one
and The LX 2000

They can go for $5000.00+

here is an example:

Pentax LX 2000 Edition with 1,2/50mm lens boxed - eBay (item 370250312000 end time Sep-01-09 08:34:05 PDT)

For all the others, Monochrome has it pegged.
08-29-2009, 02:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Has anyone seen a black original Pentax for sale? I'm guessing they would go for insane money. Reportedly rarest Pentax ever made.
08-29-2009, 04:46 AM   #10
Forum Member

The models and prices other have listed are pretty much on target. Notice though that there has been no mention of the MG, MV, MV-1, and others. These models are really hard to sell at any price. They are good cameras, but they have never acquired any collectibility status.
08-29-2009, 05:03 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Has anyone seen a black original Pentax for sale? I'm guessing they would go for insane money. Reportedly rarest Pentax ever made.
Actually one just went on ebay for very little. Mechanically it need help. Cosmetically it was not great. Still...

RAREST Asahi Pentax "Original" 1957 Black Body! - eBay (item 320413829133 end time Aug-23-09 19:15:14 PDT)

This left me scratching my head...

Seaain
08-29-2009, 05:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Actually one just went on ebay for very little. Mechanically it need help. Cosmetically it was not great. Still...

RAREST Asahi Pentax "Original" 1957 Black Body! - eBay (item 320413829133 end time Aug-23-09 19:15:14 PDT)

This left me scratching my head...

Seaain
Oh, that's a lot less than I expected. Might be the ugly finish that's putting of the collectors. Still I didn't think the rarest Pentax would be affordable...
08-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #13
Site Supporter

In addition to the one Woof linked, I have seen 1 other and it went for nearly $600 but it was in better shape. That one could have gone for a little more. Ebay is a unpredictable beast when it comes to prices.
08-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks

thanks to all for their shared wisdom.

it was very informative, and everyone of you contributed to my current notion, about pentax cameras, and which I would buy and for what money.

yesterday I almost bought pentax MG for 80$ however now, I see that this camera isn't what i'm looking for...

thanks again to all of you, however if you will continue discussion here about the value of Pentax cameras, for example,

about your collections, about the money spent on them, or about the prices sold for some particular model, or problems that some models or all of them face, i will read it with pleasure.

have a good day all of you.
08-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
Forum Member

I'm still using an Asahi Pentax K which I bought in the early 50's. With an Auto_Takumar 85mm 1.8, it's a wonderful machine. Any ideas as to the value?